How can I build a run as cheaply as possible?

shabbyshic

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
Hi there! I need some ideas on what materials to use to build a run for 6 chickens as inexpensively as possible.

It does need to be predator proof as we have plenty of predators around here. We do have lots of snow and cold in the winter as well.

Thanks! I appreciate any ideas !

pop.gif
I would love some ideas as well.

One thing we did was buy landscape ties instead of 4x4's for the posts. They are the same length, still pressure-treated, and about 1/4" less in diameter. They don't look as pretty but I think they will work just fine, and they were half the price as the 4x4's. I'm trying to figure out if we can take apart pallets and use the wood for things like along the top and bottom, but we have a pretty large run so I don't think the 4' length of the pallet wood would work for us. It might for you if yours is smaller though.

2X4 studs from Lowes are $2 each.we make a 4x8 box and wire it and put netting on the top.costs about $45 to build one....we use doghouses for just a few chickens.....

mattb#00 :

Quote:
Where are you from? I'll give you 2 4x8 tractors that connect together to make a run big enough for 6 hens.

Hey - wish i could take you up on the 2 tractors.. i am in ontario.. canada.. don't think i could pick them up
wink.png

Do you all recommend hardware cloth (is that the right word), or chicken wire.. or what? And which of these options is the cheapest, yet still predator proof?​

So you have your housing already? You're just talking the run? Like CtW, we also used landscape timbers for our corner posts.
But 2 x 4s would work well too. An 8 x 8 box would give six birds at least 10 sq. ft. of run space each (which is pretty much the minimum recommended). It would be better to frame on 4 ft. intervals (imo) for sturdiness. For cheap, you could go 4 ft. height, but it would be a pain to clean/access, so I'd go tall enough to walk around inside...
If you know you have quite a few predators, invest in heavier wire than poultry/chicken wire, which is great for containing chickens, but not great at keeping out predators.

mattb#00 :

Quote:
Where are you from? I'll give you 2 4x8 tractors that connect together to make a run big enough for 6 hens.

I wish I lived closer too. I'm in Nashville and am building a coop and fencing out of scrap items I have laying around. The coop will be made from an old food service cart and and old Eskimo Pie ice cream machine and the fence has a pvc frame. This way everything is moveable by hand. It's very ugly but I think it will work. I'm relying on my farm dogs to discourage predators.​

I say Watch Craigslist under the Free section for wood and wire. I just got enough wood to build the frame for my Coop and possibly the run and the guy is suppose to have more for me in a few weeks which as long as I get that wood I will have more then enough ply wood to cover my coop and for sure build the run. You have to watch out for it and if you see it jump on it ASAP because alot of times it doesnt last.

The wood I got is still full of nails but the wood is still good so ya I might have a day full of nail pulling ahead of me but you know what, its still FREE WOOD!

Back
Top Bottom