How can I clean and treat a wound

smfarman

Crowing
Jun 16, 2016
North of Tampa, FL
Friday my lavender Orphingtons where attack by a raccoon, 1 was killed and 1 was wounded. The wounded one has a large gash down the side of her neck, I used peroxide to clean it, but is there any thing else I can use to keep it cleaned and help the wound to heal? Any advice would be appreciated thank you

Cleaning it with betadine is good. I would slather on triple antibiotic ointment or put some vetericyin on that daily.
You don't really want to cover a wound with a dressing, just leave it open with your ointment of choice on it.
It would also be a good idea to keep her where flies can't get into the wound, they will lay eggs and once the maggots hatch that will cause a lot of damage and infection called FlyStrike.
Thank you for your help

You'd be amazed at the horrific looking wounds that chickens can recover from! She may be in shock, so keep her in a calm, dark spot for a day or two, somewhere convenient for you to observe her. Consider antibiotics. You cleaned the wound out with peroxide, that's okay, but don't use peroxide a second time, as it's strong enough to kill living tissue. Saline or water works well for secondary cleansing. A spritz of blu-kote (whatever color you like except red) will go a long way in camouflaging the wound from her flock mates. If you separate her from the flock, it would be better for her if she's still within sight (and sound) of her mates, as it will not only comfort her, but will make reintroduction back into the flock so much smoother. For chickens, out of sight is out of mind, and if a flock member is out of sight for upwards of a few days, they're likely to find themselves at the bottom of the pecking order when they return; many 'old friends' will turn a cold shoulder. Once the wound quits bleeding and is appropriately disguised and has some scab developing (chicken scabs look different than human scabs, they're like dehydrated skin). Can rub some triple antibiotic ointment (the kind without pain relief) onto and into the wound. For pain, you can offer her aspirin. Dosing and contradictions are noted on the following website http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/aspirin
Praying for an amazing recovery for your feathered family.

Cleaned the wound with betadine today but she won't let me cover it
Cleaning it with betadine is good. I would slather on triple antibiotic ointment or put some vetericyin on that daily.
You don't really want to cover a wound with a dressing, just leave it open with your ointment of choice on it.
It would also be a good idea to keep her where flies can't get into the wound, they will lay eggs and once the maggots hatch that will cause a lot of damage and infection called FlyStrike.

Thank you for your help
Update, I took her to the vet she stopped drinking and eating and while there at the vet's she past away. The vet said she had a puncture wound to the trachea. Thank you all for the advice that you gave, it was very helpful. The vet also said if she didn't have the puncture wound she may have recovered with everything that I was doing for her. Thank you

Attachments

• 20190908_184702.jpg
    20190908_184702.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom