How can I disinfect myself?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rcentner, Jul 31, 2010.

1. rcentner

rcentner Songster

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I am going to another persons chicken coop today, I want to wear my chicken poop shoes, but I need to be sure I don't track anything from my chickens to hers. I have a sick hen with canker and a lice infestation (that the pymethrin is doing awesome on). I just want to be sure not to bring any unwanted pests with me.

hmm...didn't know where to post this.

2. perolane

perolane Songster

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Nolvasan....in a spray bottle. I have one hanging outside my pens & I keep one in my vehicle.

3. ParrotsNPullets

ParrotsNPullets Songster

Jun 8, 2009
    Upstate New York
    I think the responsible thing would be to wear separate shoes and clothing knowing you have pests/illness in your flock (you'd probably balk at someone doing the same to you!).

If you absolutely HAVE to wear the same shoes... get a scrub brush out, scrub your shoes like mad with soap and water to get all of the debris out, and then spray them down with a disinfectant. You may also want to put plastic grocery bags over them and tied up to your ankle. At least that is what I'd do if I didn't have a clean pair of shoes.

4. rcentner

rcentner Songster

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    ya, seems the best thing to do. a little chicken poo wont hurt my nicer shoes [​IMG] thanks for the advice, I didn't think of it like that...what would I want someone to do if they came here ya know. Fresh outfit for me [​IMG]

5. perolane

perolane Songster

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Gee I forgot about your sick hen... [​IMG] parrotsnpullets is right. And there it is right in your post...duh!!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  6. leahthor

leahthor Chirping

Jun 24, 2010
    Northwestern Alberta
    Hope your hen feels much better soon. I hope if anyone with chickens comes to my place they are as responsible as you.

7. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Songster

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    i put myself in a clorox bath, and wash my shoes and clothes in soap and clorox too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by