How can I disinfect myself?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rcentner, Jul 31, 2010.

1. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I am going to another persons chicken coop today, I want to wear my chicken poop shoes, but I need to be sure I don't track anything from my chickens to hers. I have a sick hen with canker and a lice infestation (that the pymethrin is doing awesome on). I just want to be sure not to bring any unwanted pests with me.

hmm...didn't know where to post this.

2. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Nolvasan....in a spray bottle. I have one hanging outside my pens & I keep one in my vehicle.

3. ParrotsNPullets

ParrotsNPullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Upstate New York
    I think the responsible thing would be to wear separate shoes and clothing knowing you have pests/illness in your flock (you'd probably balk at someone doing the same to you!).

If you absolutely HAVE to wear the same shoes... get a scrub brush out, scrub your shoes like mad with soap and water to get all of the debris out, and then spray them down with a disinfectant. You may also want to put plastic grocery bags over them and tied up to your ankle. At least that is what I'd do if I didn't have a clean pair of shoes.

4. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    ya, seems the best thing to do. a little chicken poo wont hurt my nicer shoes [​IMG] thanks for the advice, I didn't think of it like that...what would I want someone to do if they came here ya know. Fresh outfit for me [​IMG]

5. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Gee I forgot about your sick hen... [​IMG] parrotsnpullets is right. And there it is right in your post...duh!!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  6. leahthor

leahthor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Northwestern Alberta
    Hope your hen feels much better soon. I hope if anyone with chickens comes to my place they are as responsible as you.

7. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    i put myself in a clorox bath, and wash my shoes and clothes in soap and clorox too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by