How can i entertain my 2month old chickens when it is raining??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AlicesSilkies, Jun 5, 2012.

1. It has rained now for the past 3 days solidly..eeergggghhh[​IMG](soo fustrating) they usually freerange in my garden, i am in the process of building my coop but the rain has stopped me..
    The chickens are getting very naughty and loud, is there anyway or any ideas you pros have on keeping them entertained???
    Thanks in advance
    [​IMG]

2. dainerra

dainerra Crowing

Jun 4, 2011
    let them free-range in the rain. Birds don't mind getting wet

3. are you sure they are only 2 months old, i dont want them to get a cold or ill [​IMG] ?????

4. Hamstery

Hamstery Songster

Feb 7, 2012
    New England
    We've had the same problem with rain for the past 4 days. Bleh! My chicks are 6 weeks old so they have been staying inside the coop and get pretty antsy as well. I have been pulling up a big piece of sod from the yard every morning and laying in the coop for them to peck at/eat the grass etc... they seem to like picking around in the dirt looking for tiny bugs. Just a thought.

5. dainerra

dainerra Crowing

Jun 4, 2011
    if they have a space to get out of the rain if they want. Mine have been outside with no heat since they were a little more than 2 weeks old.

[​IMG]
    they stay outside in the rain even though they have plenty of dry space to hide.

6. Oh thats great to know, thankyou!! [​IMG]

7. lclough1998

lclough1998 Songster

The sod is a great idea! I may be doing that for my chicks that are still in a brooder, I have to move some chicks around so they have a bigger space to be in. Thanks for sharing the idea, maybe one hunk with grass side up and one hunk with dirt side up!

8. applefalls

applefalls Songster

Feb 25, 2009
    Cockeysville, MD
    Not sure if they are old enough for it, but if they already free-range, they might like this: nothing thrills my flock more than a head of cabbage (the bottom of a used head of cauliflower also works nicely). If you can, hang it just above their heads so they have to jump for it. I do this every week in the winter for my chickens and it really keeps them busy! I stick a wire hanger right through the cabbage and hang mine from a shephard's hook in their pen.

9. Thanks for all the great ideas guys!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: