How can I figure out what what killed my chicks?

BanaB

Chirping
Jun 14, 2020
Cambridge, NY
I suspect there's an answer in this thread, but 557 pages is a lot to dig through.

I have 14 week old chicks. They've been a delight! I've enjoyed having them more than I ever thought possible. Predators have been a concern of mine so I built a tight, predator-proof coop. Free range fencing felt like more than I could physically handle (rethinking that now), so they've been free ranging for several weeks. I check on them several times a day. I was delighted last week to discover that one of the chicks is a rooster, because I know roosters are protective of the hens and he's good natured. So far.

Today (rainy and cold) I brought them out some oatmeal. They spend most of their time in thick brush fairly close to the coop. I called, and none of them came. (unusual) I started searching for them and heard one, and discovered the rooster alone in the coop. He accompanied me as I went looking for the rest, crowing as I called for them.

I found a dead hen, partially eaten. Then another came out of nearby bushes. She seemed okay. I found the rest huddled together in dense brush.
I put them all in the coop and looked for the others, but have been unable to find bodies or other evidence. I'm missing 4 hens total.
I'm planning to go out to look for more evidence later.

I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions/information about what to do next. I realized as I'm typing that I didn't check the other hens for injury. I was rattled. So, I'm going out now.
Is there any way to find out what did this? It happened late morning. I live in Upstate NY. I think I've read that spring and fall are bad times for predators.

I'm definitely looking into movable fencing. I'm so sad. I never expected to get so attached.

Best news! The other 3 missing hens sauntered home at dark. They must have been frightened and well hidden. I looked for their carcasses several times today and couldn't find a trace! They will remain in their small run until I get some fencing. Thanks to everyone for your kind comments and concern!

So sorry for you loss. Also sad to say that when you free range that is the risk you take and eventually there will be a loss. If there are people that haven't lost any birds free ranging, they have been lucky. Predators will lurk and look for an opportunity. You may not see them. I have large pens for my birds. I have electric wires around my coops and pens. So far nothing has gotten past the hot wires. I also have several game cameras. I look on Amazon and now and then find a good one. Go on YouTube and there are plenty of videos of different cameras. Most game cameras take good daytime pictures but not all are good at taking nighttime pictures. Also Walmart sells game cameras. I was surprised at the predators that roam here especially at night. The predators know the electric wires are there. Good luck...
DSCF000278 05Rev.jpg
DSCF0002124 01.jpg
DSCF0002913 01.jpg
DSCF000199 03.jpg

I took a photo and I kept her carcass, hoping someone might know by looking at her. I'll take another better photo tomorrow. Good news...3 other chicks came back at dark.View attachment 2388776
I think it might've been a hawk that killed your hen because hawks tend to eat very little of their prey but I could be wrong I wish you and your hens the best!!

Back
Top Bottom