How can I fix this cracked egg?!

SeptemberQuail

Songster
7 Years
Oct 10, 2012
Australia

↑ I found it this morning like this when I was checking on my quails, she hasn't gone broody yet but I have a strong feeling she will (she keeps checking on the eggs and fixing up the hay in the nest box I made). I definitely know that they're fertile, as I've seen the male mount her several times, plus I accidentally cracked another egg (no hope, my brother pealed the shell :l) and I could see a little white dot in the yolk when I cracked it open.
(My quail hen laid two eggs yesterday, this was her second, it was quite surprising.)

Anyway,
How would I fix this? I really don't wanna lose another potential chick. The shell is cracked but the inner membrane is still in-tact.
Please help!

I've heard of using candle wax, but I don't see how it'll help a dent like this. Should I use duct tape or something?

Don't use duct tape, I personally wouldn't hatch an egg this badly dented. There are a lot of things that can go wrong.. But if you really want to try it, fill the dent with melted candle wax. The other thing people use is nail polish, but it would take multiple coats for a dent like that. Make sure that when you are done the area is strong enough so that it won't push in and damage the membrane. Also seal it as best as you can, otherwise bacteria will invade, of course they may have already... Sorry, like I said, I wouldn't use this egg.

Thank you cochins1088, I've decided to not use the egg like you stated above;
I had it for lunch -- tasted cheesy. x]

I'll keep that info stored just in-case another egg cracks.
Another question though, wouldn't it be toxic to use nail polish...?

Back
Top Bottom