How can I get my 2 month old chicks to eat pellets?

monkahi

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 22, 2012
This is my first time posting, so please bare with me...LOL
My chicks are now 2 months old and the only chick food I can get for them now is small pellets. They had been eating chick starter which was a fine grind. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

I hope the pellets are indeed small. In any case, chickens hate change. They tend to balk. Put up hunger strikes, etc. But, the good news is this. They won't starve themselves. By day two, the hunger strike ends.

If you wish to "cheat", pre-soak a few pounds in a bit of moisture. The glue they use to pelletize will crumble apart. I don't believe I've heard of chick pellets. Hmmmmm

Last edited:
Thank you for letting me know that they won't starve themselves. The food is chick grower and comes in pellets. I did put some in small amount of water, they ate it like candy....

I'm not sure how many chicks you are feeding but one method if it's not too much trouble might be running the pellets through a food grinder or a method of grinding it smaller if that helps some.

It's funny, I can't find pellets at the store we go to, so they remain on crumble.

I don't take them off of medicated until 4 months of age. Mine start laying 20 or more weeks, so it was never an issue.

It's funny, I can't find pellets at the store we go to, so they remain on crumble.
I don't take them off of medicated until 4 months of age. Mine start laying 20 or more weeks, so it was never an issue.
Pellets or crumble have never been an issue to obtain here, it's just finding different brand names. In our area they are only a few brands available.

Back
Top Bottom