How can I get my chickens to like me again??

In my experience, limited as it is (less than 2 years as a chicken keeper) it always helps me to get down on their level if I want them to interact with me. I just go in the run and plop myself down on the ground. After a few minutes, especially if I have treats, I'm overrun with chickens wanting to sit on my lap, jump on my shoulder (or head, Lol), basically just climb all over me. They are very curious creature and if they feel safe they will explore. I never try to force them into it, they just do what they want to do.

I have all of the breeds you see in my signature, and it has been true for all of them, even the more flighty breeds like the SS Hamburgs. They are drawn to you if you "feel" safe to them. To me that means getting them comfortable with you on their level.

Of course, some breeds are more friendly than others, but I have yet to see a chicken run from me if I'm sitting on the ground with mealworms or sunflower seeds in my hand. :)

Some chooks are also very wary of legs, especially those with very bouffant crests impeding vision; sometimes they don't seem to connect these moving tree trunks with the face and hands of the human they trust, so can be quite untrusting when you're standing. Makes sense, from their perspective it's a lot to take in, and the taller the human the harder it would be for them.

I found many of my chooks really did need people to get down on their level, as chicksurreal says, before they could make a connection between hands, eyes, voice, intentions. It was a groundbreaking realization for many of them, absolutely key to taming them.

Best wishes.

Its been so busy here! Sorry for disappearing! Everyone has such wonderful advice, thank you so much. Im going to get something that I can bring out to sit on maybe an old towel or something so I can sit out there with them, and maybe try new types of treats (time to look at that BYC treat chart!) I hope that they start to like us, atleast enough that we can give them a good thorough look over to make sure they are all healthy :)
ya.gif
ya.gif
Thank you all!!!

Most of my lastest group that I got when they were 3 months old and lived in a guys back yard. (his dog got out of it pen and killed one or two and he decided that chickens were not a good idea. Anyway there was 7 hens and 1 rooster. He really never did much as far as handling them. We caught them using a roll of plastic fence and making the area they were in smaller until we could grab them and put them in my traveling cage. I put them in the hen house with me 12 yo production red who hates the world, one shy Austolope and 3 guineas that didn't want to have anything to do with anyone. Well after a week of me filling feeders and bringing out treats, the new guys lined up on the pearch and took their turns taking a bit out of the apple or other treats. They just kept getting friendlier and would fly up and land on my arm or shoulder. Now the others are friendly. My shy Autrolope who suffered a juobone fracture after I slammed the coopdoor in her face and took her to the state vet teaching hospital (she had 3 hrs of surgery and a partial upper beak cast) who allow them to carry her around the building to visit the staff. The three days she was up there after her surgery, the vet students took her out around the college campus wearing a dog harness and leash. I came home with a leash broke, pottie trained hen. Since she had to spend 6 weeks in the house, it was nice to have her pottie trained. I would let her out of her dog kennel twice a day on newspaper. She would squat and wait for me to put more paper under her. Anyway, she is perfectly tame. I did nothing to get a coop of friendly chickens and guineas, after 20 yrs of having chickens, they are just that way.

That was a wonderful story oklip :).

Perhaps my chicks are just going through a phase - When they went into their coop to roost for the night yesterday I reached in to rub Princess and she squatted and allowed me to pet her she sat there the entire time I wanted to touch her, and when I was done she just casually walked away :). So perhaps when the others start squatting they will be friendlier too! But, one friendly baby is better then no friendly babies. :)

Hello I saw your post and had to write. I think your hens are about to start laying, the reason being, you said that today when you went to your coop you reached down to pick one up and it squatted down and froze, right ? Well, that is a sure sign that they are ready to lay, or accept a rooster. Mine all did this, check the waddles and top of their heads, I bet they are turning a brighter red instead of a pale pink. This is another way to know they will soon be laying. When they first start laying it kinda suprises. Them and sometimes it slips out before they make it to the nest boxes and you'll find one on the ground or broken, don't worry they get to be pro's really quick. Eggs start out small and get larger too, (guess that gives the hen a chance to get used to passing them ) LOL. Good luck with your hens and enjoy them.

I figured she would start laying soon :) I will have to go look at the combs again I didn't pay attention to them last time I was out there :). We don't have their nesting boxes in there yet.. we tried to put them in there a week ago and all they wanted to do is eat the pine shavings. But my boyfriend is going to be making some good nesting boxes soon anyways since we now have squatters! :)

You might try bringing some treats with you when you go into the coop. A few grapes or an apple or some greens might get their attension and they start to come to you. Usually the alpha hens will be the ones to check it out. Good luck and keep trying.

Back
Top Bottom