how can i get my dog to eat his food?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Because it is a really low quality food, and gives dogs upset stomaches, and i hear it makes them hyper-active

We don't feed expensive feed to our dog, usually its one of the cheapest foods you can get at Walmart. This may not be the best solution, but all of our dogs have been healthy and active.

in temrs of which, both are good foods and look to be on par.
i dont like that burns has rice listed as the first ingredient (the meat shoudl always come first in a carnivores diet) but welbeloved doesnt actually list their ingredient list in order...and obviously listing guidleins might be different in different countries...

but honestly switch becaus eyou want to not because you thin the dog will like it more.
and when you do switch you want to introduce the new food WITH the old food (i usually do this when i have about a weeks worth of food left in the bag) start mostly old brand with a little new...and slowly over the space of at least 1 week add more new and less old untill its all new food and the old food has run out...

love-my-wolves...bakers is the uk equivalent of ole-roy, its ALL grain and what little meat is n there is byproduct, the equvelent of feeding meat flavored cardboard (or mcdonalds)

Last edited:
I hope some one will say which one is deffo better, or if one tastes better because they are both good and i like the packets of them both aswell haha

Quote:
You are not being cruel to him by not giving him table scraps, You need to take the reins and let him know that you are the boss not him, by giving him the table scraps you are actually encouraging his begging, jumping up to take the food off plates. I would ban him from the kitchen and or Diningroom, all the time not just at meal times, all the time. You'll have to be firm, but you will probably be surprised at how quickly he gets the message.

Don't let other people make you think that your being cruel, your not, in fact making him eat a balance food is much better for his health !

And when you do switch to the new food, do it gradually, put a quarter cup of the new food in with the current food at first, then gradually put a little more new food in with a little less of the current food until it is totally the new food. That what it won't be such a shock to his system and make him sick.
smile.png

Quote:
Ah, ok, now I understand. I agree with Pink, find one with meat as the first ingredient. That is the key, not the pricetag or word of mouth. I feed my dog Purina One Lamb and Rice, I feel it's a good median food. It's in my pricerange and my dog likes it.

I just read through this quick, so sorry if I repeat too much of what was said.
I agree with the post above, you should mix your food. I work at a kennel, anytime we have a new food. For example, we got a huge donation of food from purina or some company, so we mix it into the food they've always been on.
If you are trying to find a brand that is of a quality you want your dog to be on and that he will eat, maybe try sample bags? I'm sure you could easily get some if you emailed companies and asked for one.
Also with the dog trying to get table scraps, you just have to show him that is not ok. Whether you would want to train him with that or just push him away. If he jumps at you when you get up with a plate, you can always lift your leg as a block, well block with your knee. They usually get the hint with that..don't kick, just block.

I have very little choice in my pet shop there is James Welbeloved Burns, Bakers, Autkary, wagg, Iams (which i dont like because they test it on animals) and a few others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom