how can i get my dog to eat his food?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you leave the new food and that is his option to eat, he will eat it. The key now to the dog eating what you want him to eat may be hunger. If he gets hungry enough, he will eat it.

Try not feeding him for a day and then give him the ration of 25% new food and 75% old food. See if he leaves any then. Feeding him outside will help because he doesn't have the option of leaving the new food to go beg at the table. He can eat or not eat. He'll eat.

You've had plenty of advice regarding the switch and can read back through this thread for all the great advice. I did a week on 25/75, a week on 50/50, and a week on 75/25 when I switched from Meow Mix to 4Health (a TSC feed with actual meat as the first ingredients). A significant change in the quality of nutrition of the foods will need more time to adjust.

That all said, you said you bop the dog on the nose when he begs. I started using a spray bottle with 50/50 white vinegar and water. The vinegar is strong enough to get in an eye and make a sting, but dilute enough that it's not doing any damage (believe it or not, I tested this on myself first). If your dog starts to associate begging at the table with a bad sting in his eye, he'll quit cold turkey and never turn back
smile.png

Good luck John!! Sounds like you are doing the absolute best for your dog.

Quote:
what?

It doesn't matter, I'd just get in trouble for saying it.

But I do want to mention this, I don't mean to sound rude or snarky here but would it be possible for you to improve a bit on the spelling and grammar of your posts? I'm finding it really difficult to read what your trying to say
hmm.png
Again, not trying to be rude...

Good, if you have nothing better to do than criticize me then do not type on this forum.

Quote:
I dont think people are trying to criticize you. They are just trying to be helpful and give you information you have not asked for and it is coming off as criticizim and being rude. Everyone has a different way of pet care that works for them and you just have to accept the differences. But you have gotten alot of useful info so far and sounds like things have all been answered?

Quote:
I dont think people are trying to criticize you. They are just trying to be helpful and give you information you have not asked for and it is coming off as criticizim and being rude. Everyone has a different way of pet care that works for them and you just have to accept the differences. But you have gotten alot of useful info so far and sounds like things have all been answered?

If you care to read, i am talking about who told me to correct my spelling and grammer.

Quote:

If you care to read, i am talking about who told me to correct my spelling and grammer.

I did read. I read your whole thread actually.

My comment was towards the grammar comment about being rude without trying to be and the rest was for the rest of your thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom