1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How can i get rid of these Bears?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jwatts, Jun 13, 2017.

1. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    2 weeks ago I had a bear tear apart my quail coop killing a few of them in broad daylight. I did chase her off with rubber buckshot that the game warden gave to me. Now this week bears got into my kids smaller coop and killed 6 young speckled Sussex on us. Granted it was only chicken wire enclosure,the bear tore it apart till it got to them and also beat the door up real bad.
    Does anyone else have issues with Bears? What do you do to prevent them from coming around? I would thought the shotgun might have scared them off but there may be many different bears around.

Attached Files:

2. Chandra Prater

Chandra Prater Out Of The Brooder

Holy crap. If bears feel that comfortable on your property, sometimes the only thing you can do is put them down. Animal Control might be able to tranq and relocate, though. Other than bear spray (and who wants to be that close to a stinking bear?), I haven't heard of any serious bear deterrent.

3. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Electric fence.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    YES! Electric fencing, backed by real fencing, baited at first to make it very unattractive. Premier1supplies.com has good products and good advice too. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by