How can i hatch my grocery store bought chicken eggs

Thank you,
Last question
Is there a point to the 3 pk? Mine is a 22 egg capacity.
Would getting 1 be enough for it?
Ok, there's 2 questions... Sorry😉
I would buy the 3 pack. One side of the bator may run hotter. Having at least two in at all times will give you a better idea of what the temp is in multiple spots at the same time.

how do I hatch my grocery store eggs? this is my first time trying to hatch eggs, so i need some help
When I hatched my store bought eggs, I bought a decent number to give myself the best odds. I actually wanted to get more, but ended up with a dozen. The eggs I had gotten were extremely chilled, so once I got them home I gave them several hours to reach room temp before putting them in the incubator. I checked each egg over individually for cracks, candled them to check the air cells too. If any are cracked, disguard them. I had one which was cracked and attempted to incubate, I tried to seal the crack and an embryo did grow but quit at one week.
If any had detached air cells, I incubated them air cell up for a while and they seemed to be okay after that.
Find eggs which are not refrigerated, that will give you the best odds. The quail eggs I also attempted to hatch all failed to survive to hatch, and those eggs are refrigerated.

A word of warning before you try this, the chickens/ducks who lay these store bought eggs are usually not the healthiest. You can't guarantee good genetics, and the birds may hatch and grow into adults, but they may end up with issues over the amount they lay. My girls turn 2 this month, and both have had laying problems due to the excessive amount of eggs they produce. If I knew then what I know now, well, I don't know. It wasn't particularly wise of me in hindsight, and in future I'm going to stick to hatching eggs from hardier breeds.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

When I hatched my store bought eggs, I bought a decent number to give myself the best odds. I actually wanted to get more, but ended up with a dozen. The eggs I had gotten were extremely chilled, so once I got them home I gave them several hours to reach room temp before putting them in the incubator. I checked each egg over individually for cracks, candled them to check the air cells too. If any are cracked, disguard them. I had one which was cracked and attempted to incubate, I tried to seal the crack and an embryo did grow but quit at one week.
If any had detached air cells, I incubated them air cell up for a while and they seemed to be okay after that.
Find eggs which are not refrigerated, that will give you the best odds. The quail eggs I also attempted to hatch all failed to survive to hatch, and those eggs are refrigerated.

A word of warning before you try this, the chickens/ducks who lay these store bought eggs are usually not the healthiest. You can't guarantee good genetics, and the birds may hatch and grow into adults, but they may end up with issues over the amount they lay. My girls turn 2 this month, and both have had laying problems due to the excessive amount of eggs they produce. If I knew then what I know now, well, I don't know. It wasn't particularly wise of me in hindsight, and in future I'm going to stick to hatching eggs from hardier breeds.

Good luck, whatever you decide!
thank you for your help, you have given me the knowledge required to do this project.

Would you mind expanding on that? I picked up a Nurture Right 360 a month or so ago and haven't run it yet.
I'm just starting research thru threads about it to prepare.

Can I do a dry run all the way thru with no eggs? (Michigan winter) don't want chicks yet.
I just finished hatching with my Nurture Right 360 two weeks ago. I had planned on doing a test run, but my eggs were ready early. In the directions, they recommended the room temp to be 74 degrees. Who keeps their house that warm? What I did was take over a shower with glass walls. I covered the top with a blanket and put in a little space heater. It worked out well. I used the bathroom multiple times during the day and night, so monitored temps and humidity. The incubator temp stayed relatively consistent. Of 8 eggs, one didn't seem to be fertilized. Two developed but didn't hatch. I am really inexperienced at this, so the 2 that didn't hatch were a mystery.

I would buy the 3 pack. One side of the bator may run hotter. Having at least two in at all times will give you a better idea of what the temp is in multiple spots at the same time.
One other thing I've done is to include several non-fertile eggs in the test run. I don't know for sure that the extra mass makes any difference (mine is a forced-air incubator) but I think it might. Plus of course when chicks are growing inside the eggs they start to generate heat of their own. So maybe the only real test is to actually do it! Just not with very precious eggs at first.

Back
Top Bottom