How can I keep the water in the brooder from filling up with shavings?

monarchcmj

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 28, 2009
NH
I have a layer of pine shavings in the Rubbermaid tub the chicks are in. I am *constantly* finding their waterer FULL of pine shavings and I'm not sure how to remedy this problem? Any suggestions? Thanks!

I've set mine up on blocks of wood and as the chicks grow I add blocks of wood. Once they are in the outdoor pen their water will be suspend from above -- also it will be above sand, so when they kick up the sand it won't fly so far.

Some people use nipple waterers -- The best description is that it's somewhat like a gerbil bottle.

Jenny

blocks of wood work good but I noticed that even with cleaning they can get this slimy film on them so I use small cement blocks. Just check Lowe's or HD in the garden section..they are usually with the paver blocks

just my $.02

I put mine up on a brick, it helps but still gets full of shavings - thinking of trying another brick to see if they can reach the water. Heck the little critters are flying from one end of the brooder to the other they can probably manage.

eta- the second brick seemed to do the trick - no shavings and they can still drink

Last edited:
I have same problem, too. Cleaning pine shaving in the water...
I put wood blocks and made it higher but not much help.

They are inside brooder in the house, so it's easy to access.
But once they are outside in the coop, it will be so hard to get there that often.

Quote:
I have a piece of a 2x4 piece of wood I place it on. Its low enough the chicks can drink but significantly lowers the amount of shavings in the water.

I ended up switching to bottle type waterers when they were about three weeks old b/c of the same problem you are having. I use one meant for rabbits with the little metal ball on the end and another one is a nipple type drop bottle. Now if I could just get them to stop knocking over their dry food container......

Quote:
thats what i do :3
im use'in a brick in one of my silkie brooders and a sidewalk paver in the other
they're both the same size :3

A piece of closet shelving works best for me set on two bricks. The kind that closet concepts uses, sturdy wire, plastic coated, where the shavings fall thru. I plan to make the nipple waters soon though. HenZ

Back
Top Bottom