How can I lower the humidity in my coop?

sasimpson77

Songster
6 Years
Dec 28, 2013
I ended up with a few more chickens then I planned on this winter and am having issues with humidity within my coop. the Humidity is actually so bad that it snows within my coop I tried to seal up most of the cracks with straw to prevent drafts but maybe I shouldn't have? I was planning on insulating my coop this summer but maybe I shouldn't? I am also struggling with frost bite we have had some miserable cold here in northern Illinois this year . Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi there, it sounds to me like you need more ventilation installed up high under the roof to keep your chickens draft free. As they breathe and exhale they give off moisture in their breath. There needs to be a place for this moisture to escape the coop, if not it results in painful frost bite. It's not good to have your coop air tight for this reason.

That is an excellent article, easy to understand and explains any and all questions about the why's and how's of ventilation. I'm giving it an A+.
thumbsup.gif

Ok so should I open the cracks back up in my coop then in order to increase the ventilation? how much of a draft is too much of a draft maybe I should just open up the cracks up high? unfortuantly my coop is not real big so there is no way to open it up any where other then where they roost at we have had terrible weather today and tomorrow are supposed to have a -30 wind chill I moved all the chickens into the garage and they seem much more comfortable but that is only until the temperature goes up again.

Ok so should I open the cracks back up in my coop then in order to increase the ventilation? how much of a draft is too much of a draft maybe I should just open up the cracks up high? unfortuantly my coop is not real big so there is no way to open it up any where other then where they roost at we have had terrible weather today and tomorrow are supposed to have a -30 wind chill I moved all the chickens into the garage and they seem much more comfortable but that is only until the temperature goes up again.
Read the ventilation article....then post pics of the outside and inside of your coop and maybe we can make specific suggestions.

Ok so I read the article and defintly see some great ideas just wish I had realized this befor winter hit lol me being a chicken newbie and all.
Here are some photos of my coop we built it in October and were pushing to get it as far as we did. I think I am going to try to expand
the roof on all sides in the spring so I can then open up about 4 inches at the top all the way around also going to try to have a bigger coop built nect year as well.

I am wondering if I tried to keep these doors open from morning until night would it make a differece?

I have changed the ladders to lay completely across the top for roosting but maybe I should put tyem back this way and remove some of the card board I put up for ventilation.

By the way the double doors are located on the east side of the coop and my hens refuse to go outside in the cold weather so all of there time is spent inside unless the temp gets above 30 degrees

Adding heat will also reduce the relative humidity and improve evaporation. Good ventilation will move moist air out and let dry air inside. You should not have any wet areas or frost formations inside your coop. Hope this helps!

I have a heat lamp in the pen but I think I may be fighting a losing battle and just have too many in my small coop so I am going to try to set up a pen in my horse barn this weekend so I might be able to decrease the numbers in the coop I also have a second smaller coop I will move some too. Right now I have most of the flock in my garage do to the extreme cold we are having but that is just a temporary solution.

Back
Top Bottom