1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

how can i make a large chicken run cheaply and quickly

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pekin bantams, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Pekin bantams

Pekin bantams Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    Its basically in the question. what should i use to make a run for 15 hens quickly, cheaply and easily? i was thinking of using that building site fencing but the problem is its open at the bottom.

2. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Unless that is being given to you its not cheap either.

Also is this a temporary measure or permanent? If temporary quick and easy is one thing if permanent will it be predator proof?

You could look at places like your local tip recycle centre or craigs list for cheap or free timber. for your corner posts.

If its temporary you can buy a plastic wire netting pretty cheap at a hardware store in the garden section but it will keep chickens in but not a single predator out. For a permanent run there are some things you just cant skimp on and good quality wire is one of them. Foxes and other predators can chew straight through chicken wire so you need the good stuff.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Cheap fencing solutions are only as expensive as the cost of replacing a destroyed flock.

Chris

4. weasel killer

weasel killer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    Post or look on craigslist for free lumber or wire.I just finished a coop that all I have in it is the cost of th e screws and my time to build it.Hope that helps. DENNIS

5. Pekin bantams

Pekin bantams Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    Thanks everyone for replying![​IMG] I live in Ireland so there are no hawks or racoons. all we have to look out for are foxes and dogs

6. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Ireland doesn't have hawks or raccoons? That's weird. Not for you, I'm sure, but it's hard to imagine since they're so prevalent here. Totally off topic of your chicken run, but I think it's amazing how animals don't mix up and move around like we do. I guess I figure that since it's so easy for us to travel around that armadillos should be everywhere instead of just the Southwest USA.

Ok, go back to discussing the chicken coop. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by