How can I make sure of duckie love?

AidynElyMama

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
I'm new to ducks this year, I have two little ladies, a Rouen and a Blue Swede. My question is...what is the best way to ensure they grow up loving us as much as we love them? They are a week old and have settled in, they don't mind us sitting there talking to them and watching them. I want to have a good relationship with them, and I want them to trust me, so any advice on raising ducks that will grow up to be sweet and sociable is appreciated.

Thank you!

Thank you! I appreciate the reply
smile.png

I keep mine inside the house- until they are about 4 - 5 weeks old. After that they have a pen in the shed for a while before being allowed out in the yard during the day. While inside they will stand at the side of the brooder when I approach- ( always low down so as not to scare them ) they nibble my hand and the collar of my clothes- and dont shy away when I pick them up, and quickly snuggle in and enjoy a cuddle. Once outside- without the same amount of contact they quickly change. I have a group of twelve out there now- and spend an hour each afternoon with them. I spread a little extra hay and sit in the pen with them. It has paid off - as they are still as friendly as ever- approaching even when I dont have food. One special little boy came right over and sat in my lap today. Spending as much time with them as possible is the key to keeping them quiet and friendly. Making the time you have with them fun, positive- and stress free for them - treats and swimming time is good for that.

Thank you! That's pretty much the approach I'm using, just sitting with them quietly, letting them eat out of my hand, and generally getting them used to me. I'm glad to see that it seems to work!

Back
Top Bottom