How can I not waste chicken feed????

I use organic mash, hanging feeder and they still throw it out everywhere. They pick through it with their beaks and send it flying. I have only four birds, but gosh they can go through some feed.

I have chain link fencing in my chicken run. When they have to be penned up, I use a long wooden trough that sits on the outside of the chain link, so the birds can reach their heads through to eat, but cannot get their feet in it. I used pans to feed for a long time, and with anything other than scratch feed, they'd make a huge mess of it, wasting it by tossing it out in the mud and pooping all over it or getting it wet. The trough is much more efficient! But it only works if your birds can put their heads through holes in your fencing. Another plus to it is that I do not have to walk into a pen full of ravenous chickens with a bucket of feed in my hand!

No photos, but more videos on youtube if you are still curious. It works great. So far, I'm still at about 80% savings. I also have a great way of using all of the leftover crumble and powder. What I do is add a lot of water to it until against the consistency of cement. Then I pour it in a bowl and get it back to the chickens. They go crazy for it. With the feeder saving 80% and adding water to the other 20% that falls by the wayside into the 5 gallon bucket. I have zero waste. It's awesome. jeffmaggie

Back
Top Bottom