1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How can I raise hatch rate above 50%?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wolfbaine30, Dec 22, 2008.

1. wolfbaine30

wolfbaine30 Crazy Rooster

May 5, 2008
    Blue Ridge,Georgia
    I just got done hatching off 12 RIR/Black Wyndotte eggs out of 24.I'm using a Little Giant still air incubator.I hand turn mine twice a day and on day 18 I put in a little bowl with a sponge and a little water to bring the humidity up.Would it help if I got an automatic egg turner and a fan?Any info will be appreciated.

2. ladybug4ut1

ladybug4ut1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    [​IMG]

First it is better if you turn them an odd number of times....and yes a turner helps a lot then you do not have to worry about them as much . What did you have temp and Humidity at for first 18 days and then for the last 3. Did you stop turning at day 18. Last question were they shipped eggs or your eggs......I used an LG still air for the first 8 months and i had different issues with them..holding temp outside air flucutations and all matter to those...I purchased a sportsman and love it but i have been there on the LG I also would have added a an to mine if i had not bought my sportsman.....Good Luck

[​IMG]

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    First.... [​IMG]

You should always turn 3 or 5 times a day (as long as it's an odd number)

What do you keep your hum at day 1 -18 ?

What do you keep your temp at ??

What do you up your hum to on day 18 ?

4. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Well, I'd recommend not putting the sponge or water in until Day 19 or 20. You don't need to raise humidity until they pip.

I use an autoturner in my LG. I don't use a fan, but people do recommend them. I've gotten over 90% hatches in my LG (non-shipped eggs), but I use a top notch thermometer (Brinsea) and a decent hygrometer (Accurite) and watch them like a hawk.

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Were these shipped eggs or did you get them locally? Many of us started with the still air HovaBator or LG and have upgraded to the forced air and auto turner. It does seem to help to have those additional features. It is not necessary however. The most inportant thing you can have it your Thermometer/Hygrometer. Did the other 12 eggs develop at all? Can you open them and determine at what stage they stopped developing? All of these things can help you trouble shoot your hatch.

When asked, I always advise people to get the upgraded incubator at the get go, most people do find they do a better job and certainly give you more peace of mind.

Still 12 chicks in very nice. Congrats.

6. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    What temp are you incubatig at ? Do you have a hygrometer to check your hum ?
    A fan does help as it helps keep temps stable throught the bator in stead of having cooler corners and edges.

You must turn no less than 4 to 5 times a day at the same time everyday. If you can't do that then you need a turner that will turn 6 times a day.

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have a still air hobabator and an automatic turner. I get a pretty good hatch. I don't keep numbers, but probably around 75% or so. I hatch my own fresh eggs, for starters, I use an Accurite hygrometer/thermometer from the garden section in Walmart. I lay the hygrometer on a clear sheet of plastic on top of the eggs, so it just rides out the turns and I can see it any time with my candler used as a flashlight. I keep the plugs out of the top, and try to run the humidity in the thirties most of the time. I run split hatches and when some eggs are due, I remove those rows of the turner and leave the eggs in the incubator along with the other eggs, and put the humididty up to around 50% the last day or two. I pull the babies as they hatch and dry them out under a light so they don't get hung up in the turner. I know I just gave you a bunch of bad advice mixed with good advice, but that is what I do, and I get plenty of good chicks hatching on a fairly continual basis. When it starts to smell a little stinky when I open the bator, I pull the turner with all the eggs and set them aside. I cover them with a folded towel and just take the bottom to the sink and clean it out with dish soap, a clean washcloth and water. Then I spray it with straight bleach let it set for a minute or two and rinse it thoroughly, towel it dry, wave it around until it is air dry, just a minute or two, and put it back, put in whatever is the "right" amount of water to make it the humidity it needs to be on that day, put the turner back, lay the hygrometer on top of the plastic thing and cross my fingers. I write the day I set the egg in dark marker pen on the bubble end so I can tell in a glance when it should be due to hatch. I candle and remove any bad eggs any time I find them.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by