How can I recreate a longcrower?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ninjascrub69, Oct 17, 2010.

1. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I can hardly ever find longcrower hatching eggs for sale, and when i do i either dont have the money or i dont have a broody, so i want to breed my own. Can this be done? If so, what breeds should i start out with?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    There's a breeder of Denizli longcrowers in the US, you know. Honestly if you really want them, I'd say wait it out. Do some research, ask plenty, make sure you save up some money and get an incubator if you don't have one, do what it takes!

- Because otherwise, it would take quite a long time and a huge population to breed for a longcrower from scratch. I've got a Wheaten Marans cockerel who crows for a good 5 seconds, but naturally his breed has a normal crow, so. . . Again, it would take just looking around for a longer crowing rooster, breed him to a hen from the same stock as another rooster who crows long, and so on. It would take forever.

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    x2. You will get there much faster waiting just a few months for eggs. They sell them on ebay quite a bit in the spring.

4. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Why would you want a long crower? [​IMG] Just curious?

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Because some people love roosters, especially ones that make a neat sounding crow. To me its not just the length, its the pitch and the general sound of it. Some of those longcrowers are really unique!

6. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I had a stag that was part long crower. I loved hearing his crow. Very unique and different from the other birds I have. I still have his sister, so I may be able to get another if I cross back to her enough.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:For the Crow. Love that long type of crow.

Here is a U-Tube link to a Koeyoshi Longcrower.

Here is another link to a Koeyoshi Longcrower, about 20 seconds into the clip that is a Koeyoshi Longcrower crowing...

Chris

8. Xanthro

Xanthro Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    Here's another long crower link.

9. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I don't know about long crower but I have 2 ameraucanas who are long howlers lol. They started taking after our black lab dog when the train comes by and blows the whistle, they start out at a crow and turn into a howl and they all howl together.

10. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

How bad do you want them? There's 12 eggs on e-bay with less than 5 hours left.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by