How can I Snake-Proof my chicken/duck coop

TwoDogFarm

Songster
6 Years
Jun 16, 2014
North Carolina
We have our chickens and ducks in a chain-link dog kennel right now until we get their permanent coop built. Tonight, my husband happened to be walking by the coop and saw about a 6 ft long black rat snake sliding into the chicken coop, going straight for our chickens. Our chickens didn't seem too startled by it, but we pushed them out of their dog house where they sleep and had a very hard time killing the stubborn snake. Luckily, nobody got hurt and we were able to kill him, but it was really scary and I can't imagine what would have happened if my husband hadn't been where he was at the right time.

I'm assuming the snake was either after chicken/duck eggs (luckily we had already collected them tonight) or rats (since we have had a problem with those around our house as well). What can we do to snake-proof our coop that will also be safe for our chickens and ducks? Thanks.

If you go to forums, then the raising backyard chickens, there is a section called Preditors and pests :) I'm sure you can find info there! Yikes to the snack!

Back
Top Bottom