How can I tell difference between Marek's and leg injury

I keep reading how when chicks are vaccinated, they then need to be quarantined for 2 weeks, so that they don't get exposed to the virus before the vaccine takes effect.

How does one do this in practical terms? My chicks hatch under a broody mom, who raises them. Even if I take broody and her eggs and bring into a clean box inside the house while they hatch and until they're 2 weeks old, the chciks still are exposed right? Because I have to assume that mom has the virus on her skin, dander, and feathers, so she would immediately be infecting the chicks.

Even if I culled my whole flock (not gonna happen, just theoretical question here), as I brought in vaccinated, quarantined new chicks, they would then pick up the virus from our soil, air, coop, etc and become carriers. then the next time I try to have a "new", vaccinated hen hatch out chicks, they would again be infected by their mom, who would have it all over her body even though she's vaccinated. Almost seems like I just have to count on many chicks dying if I do indeed have Marek's. What am I missing?

Mom can't hatch them if she's Marek's exposed. The chicks need to hatch in an incubator get their vaccine and be quarantined for at least 2 weeks. I do 6 weeks. Some do more. For the first 3 weeks, my chicks are kept in the guest room and I put a paper gown on to go in there. Right now about 1/2 are older exposed birds, and 1/2 are vaccinated.

Vaccinated chicks can grow up and be exposed to Marek's, not get the tumors, but yes they can shed the virus because of their exposure to another Marek's bird. It is thought that vaccinated birds will shed less virus, as well.

From today on, all your newbies should be vaccinated and quarantined. That's the only way to not have all that death. It gets upsetting. I can't tell you how many are buried in my back yard.

Breeding for resistance is great but it takes several generations.

Last edited:
I'm in the exact same boat as you. I had a 14 week old cockerel come down with leg weakness/partial paralysis 2.5 weeks ago. I separated him and tried pounding vitamins in him. He has been eating and drinking but has still lost a lot of weight and I haven't really seen any improvement. I did bring in some new chicks three or so weeks before he got sick, but I know the breeder and they don't have any symptoms, and the rest of my chickens do not show any signs of illness. I did have another pullet die on me last week but the necropsy showed it was due to Coccidosis. I am at a loss too. My guy's symptoms don't totally match mareks since he has been able to move his legs and feet, he is just weak and uncoordinated. The leg issue happened overnight, and was not a progressive thing. Eyes look fine. I am going to have him euthanized later this week if there is still no improvement so I can at least do a necropsy and figure out what happened. The vet thinks it could be a neck/spinal injury since it was so sudden, but I would like to know for sure. I absolutely know what you are going through right now!

Mom can't hatch them if she's Marek's exposed. The chicks need to hatch in an incubator get their vaccine and be quarantined for at least 2 weeks. I do 6 weeks. Some do more. For the first 3 weeks, my chicks are kept in the guest room and I put a paper gown on to go in there. Right now about 1/2 are older exposed birds, and 1/2 are vaccinated.

Vaccinated chicks can grow up and be exposed to Marek's, not get the tumors, but yes they can shed the virus because of their exposure to another Marek's bird. It is thought that vaccinated birds will shed less virus, as well.

From today on, all your newbies should be vaccinated and quarantined. That's the only way to not have all that death. It gets upsetting. I can't tell you how many are buried in my back yard.

Breeding for resistance is great but it takes several generations.

Agreed. The only way to minimize losses is to incubate eggs artificially and vaccinate them as soon as they hatch. Or, to order day-old vaccinated chicks from a hatchery if you prefer.
After all of my research, I strongly recommend a minimum of three weeks strict quarantine after vaccination to give the chicks the best chance to build resistance. Two is the absolute bare minimum.

I'm in the exact same boat as you.  I had a 14 week old cockerel come down with leg weakness/partial paralysis 2.5 weeks ago.  I separated him and tried pounding vitamins in him.  He has been eating and drinking but has still lost a lot of weight and I haven't really seen any improvement.  I did bring in some new chicks three or so weeks before he got sick, but I know the breeder and they don't have any symptoms, and the rest of my chickens do not show any signs of illness.  I did have another pullet die on me last week but the necropsy showed it was due to Coccidosis.  I am at a loss too.  My guy's symptoms don't totally match mareks since he has been able to move his legs and feet, he is just weak and uncoordinated.  The leg issue happened overnight, and was not a progressive thing.  Eyes look fine.  I am going to have him euthanized later this week if there is still no improvement so I can at least do a necropsy and figure out what happened.  The vet thinks it could be a neck/spinal injury since it was so sudden, but I would like to know for sure.  I absolutely know what you are going through right now!

Have you treated your flock for cocci?

I am treating the rest of the flock for cocci - not the one with the leg issues since he is separated and I couldn't find anywhere that the symptoms could be cocci.  Do you think that is a possibility?

If you have had one die as a result of cocci , then I would treat everyone. The symptoms I have seen with cocci have been ill thrift, ruffled feathers , inability to move and then death. You have nothing to lose by treating his water so why not give it a go ?

If you have had one die as a result of cocci , then I would treat everyone. The symptoms I have seen with cocci have been ill thrift, ruffled feathers , inability to move and then death. You have nothing to lose by treating his water so why not give it a go ?

Hmm, very true. Thanks! Sorry for hijacking the thread but I appreciate the help!

Back
Top Bottom