How can I tell when my BRs are getting ready to lay

I have 3 BR, 6 BO and 1 GLW (Roo), all 18 weeks. Two of my BR (Baby Girl & Fiesta) have had the red comb & waddles for a couple weeks, and both squat when petted. These two are also the ones who Owl our roo has been mating with. Queen Bee the other BR her comb & waddle are still light red & small, and Owl leaves her & the BO alone (smart boy).

On Wednesday, I went out to take them some creamed corn & check their water, and in the dirt, out in the run near the water container I found my first egg. It was small, but perfect, now my girls (the human ones) are going out to check the chickens all the time to see if they can find another egg.
tongue.png

How old are they?

68634_dsc_0245.jpg

3 of my girls, the one with the larger comb is 2 weeks older, she gave me the first egg, at 20 weeks. I am not sure on the other 2 yet, haven't caught them in the act...but if not, they are very close to it.

No to the free range but they do have a large area to be in. I have an area that is fenced off in my back yard with 6' x 6' panels. The area is about 80' x 40' and there are cedar trees along the fence line so they play in there throughout the day. Their coop is L shaped and should be enough room for all of them (total of 23).

I have had chickens for 6 years now and have not had this many but have been always successful. I am just really stumped.

barnie.gif
he.gif

15 weeks is very young to expect laying. At 22 weeks, you are allowed to complain. I do have an EE who waited until she was 10 months old.

My barred rock is almost 21 weeks and still not laying. She's red but not even squatting yet- altho she becoming less jumpy so maybe squatting soon. My rir -same age- started laying only 2 weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom