How can I watch my hens from work via the internet?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rich Marshall, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    I am going to purchase a wireless cam for my coop and wondered if anyone could advise me how to watch them via the internet and what system / camera I should purchase for this?
    Thanks

2. VI KING RANCH

VI KING RANCH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Campbell River
    I know it can be done, btu because your in the US the systems are a bit different. What you will need to do is install the cam in your coop. Then you'll hook up the other end on your home computer. Next your going to have it stream live to a website, allowing you to view on that website aka watchinng it from your office

3. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/571179/coop-cam
    I'm getting ready to build a new coop and put an IP camera in it as well. Right now I have a web cam in my present coop but can't set it up to view over the Internet. You can check out the above link for some very helpful information. I've been looking at the Foscam FI8918W
    (http://foscam.us/foscam-fi8918w-wireless-ip-camera-11.html) but am not tech savvy at all. The do have a remote set-up option for an additional $40. I'll probably go that route.

4. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    That is the one I have. I can see my coop from my own computer and from my android phone. Works for me and friend but my parents are having trouble connecting. Problem with there own computer.

5. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you satisfied with it? I've read a lot of negative reviews concerning Internet connectivity.

6. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Ask your Internet Provider to assign you a static IP.

In your DSL modem/cable modem/firewall you redirect the static IP to a different port, same port you have assign to the camera.

Then from any web browser type in your static IP (123.123.1.23 as an example) and now you are watching your chicks!

Understand all that? Only took me a week of evening to get it to work!

User-name: visitor
    password: coop

You can see my automatic chicken door setting on my work bench.

OR!

Get your camera so you can view it from your home computer.

Then from your home computer register at logmein.com

Now from any web browser you can go to logmein.com, enter your user-name and password, and now you have remote control of your home computer and can view your chicks!

No I'm not going to post how you can get remote access to my home computer!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  7. terryg

terryg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    I have live-streaming cams on my coops and goats. You can watch at www.HenCam.com. My system is expensive and complicated, but there are other options. My IT guy/husband has written a FAQ about coop cams.
    http://www.hencam.com/henblog/how-hencam-works/
    We're in the process of redesigning the website and upgrading the cams, so check back in a couple of weeks!

8. kappelmd

kappelmd Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2012
    Burlington, KY
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  9. terryg

terryg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    UStream is certainly an option. But, they come with the ads and you have to use their format.

10. riverpilot69

riverpilot69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    SE Missouri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by