1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How can they tell?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mandolinmama, Apr 22, 2007.

1. mandolinmama

mandolinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Urbana Missouri
    We purchased 6 baby "girls" from Orschelns last week (2 RIR, 2 Buff Orp, and 2 Americauna) Guessing they're about 2 weeks old now.
    How is it that they "know" which are pullets and have them seperate from the straight run?
    Ours are all said to be pullets but is there a chance that there might be a roo or two in there?

If we all have such a time with sexing them when they're 6 weeks old and such, how does Orschelns know???

2. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Depending on the breed, they can either vent sex them by looking into their vents for subtle differences in their anatomy, or they can sex them by color, etc. Some breeds such as red stars vary in color based on their sex.

Anyway, the hatcheries pay professional sexers to come in and sex their hatchlings. I think McMurray guarantees something like 90% accuracy, so it's NOT an exact science.

3. EboyDog

EboyDog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2007
    Hallsville MO
    That's funny because as a spring Orscheln's chick day buyer too I bought 8 RIR pullets and 4 of them are roo's!! (I'm in central MO)

Now the part I did like is that I bought the 8 "rare mix" with knowing what they were and so far I have these four black hens that have feathers on their legs, my 5 year old thinks "they have boots on"!

I don't think Orcheln's know too much at least the people working there didn't, it would be interesting to really know were they came from.

4. cheapcheap_jeepjeep

cheapcheap_jeepjeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Villa Grove
    Quote:How cute that your 5yr olds thinks that. they look as though they are dressed for winter weather yr round if you ask me

5. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    its really weird with vent sexing - they like literally squeeze the poop out of the baby chick and they see if there is a visible bump in the rectum and if theres a bump its a boy if not its a girl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by