How can you get two roosters to get along?

BTW, what breed of bantam are they?

Game breeds, bantam or large fowl, are unlikely to ever tolerate another male because, even though breeders aren't fighting them *now* they have thousands of years of being bred to fight.

Non-game breeds are more hit-and-miss in re: rooster aggression to other males.
The father is a pure bred SD OEGB (Silver Duckwing Old English Game Bantam) 😬
The son is either a pure bred like him or a SD OEGB cross with a Dutch Bantam.
We don't know whether the mother is a OEGB or a Dutch.

Also, your cockerel is now a 'sweet young thing', who might turn into a horrible adolescent, and need to be gone. His behavior now, how nice, but see how he is later...
Mary

This. My theory is that of they’re imprinted on you, it makes them more likely to turn on you when they come of age and that imprinting on humans is a primary cause of human aggression.

This. My theory is that of they’re imprinted on you, it makes them more likely to turn on you when they come of age and that imprinting on humans is a primary cause of human aggression.
Really? I did not know that. Do I have to rehome him because of what he'll become?
Rascal is already two years old and was not born here, but he's friendly.
His son, however, was born here as the first chick we ever hatched. He's been followoing me around ever since.

Really? I did not know that. Do I have to rehome him because of what he'll become?
Rascal is already two years old and was not born here, but he's friendly.
His son, however, was born here as the first chick we ever hatched. He's been followoing me around ever since.
Just watch him. Usually aggression escalates over time, so you’ll get warning signs as it develops. His attempts to flog you will probably be shaky at first and become bolder as time goes on as he matures. I’d at least give him the chance then cull only if he consistently shows human aggression.

There is no scientific explanation that I am aware of as to where human aggression comes from. The reason I believe its due to imprinting is that I’ve experienced imprinting with turkeys that was so strong that turkey hens so imprinted will solicit me to mate with them just as gobblers so imprinted wish to fight me. I think the female drive to mate with a human is the other side of the same coin for a male’s drive to fight a human.

I generally do all my artificial incubation in a dark room and avoid the bitties except to shine them with a flash light a couple of time a day. In that manner I produce no manfighters. I’ve had only one manfighter since my founding generation and that one bird became so I suspect because I kept him in a big cage at eye level and something about him constantly being at eye level with me messed with his development.

Chickens have had their instincts heavily modified via artificial selection but also inconsistently so. I suspect not all breeds or individuals of chickens are as prone to imprinting as others.

Back
Top Bottom