how can you tell if chickens are moulting? **PICS ADDED**

Quote:
Ack, excuse me for renewing this topic, but the 6-12 week estimate is very helpful, thank you green! However, if there is a newer thread, or sites one recommends re molting info, I'd sure be grateful. My hen is having "image" issues (and it's only been a week or so)--and seems newly shy, possibly despondent
sad.png
She is losing her feathers in patches, but they do seem to be growing back in--at least I HOPE that's what those spike-y things are! Upon exit from the coop in the morning she seems to like kamut (I line their run with various whole grains and such), and her favorite (and mine, I love it) hemp seed (33% protein) arrived so she'll get special hand-fed treatment tonight.

The types of questions I have are really basic, like "Do all hens molt annually?" and "What part of a chicken's life needs to deal with molting?" that sort of thing.

Thank you all ♥
"Two chickens in every yard"

Last edited:
The spiky things are called pin feathers. That's how feathers grow. Once they're grown, the hard case comes off (usually when the bird preens) and the new feather is underneath.

So glad to hear that "those spiky things" are new pin feathers... I had hoped so when I spotted them on my little speckled hen that has been losing feathers lately. Since she was the last hen added to my small flock (4 total) I had worried she was being picked on by the others. I did see them pecking at her in the first few weeks she arrived but it then seemed to have subsided. for a good month or soUntil a few weeks ago. Then I started noticing an inordinate amout of her feathers strewn around the coop - especially where she generally roosts - and in the run area in general ( I have 4 different breeds JUST so I know what happens to who). But because the feather loss is less apparent on her than it is on the floor, she doesn't seem to be suffereing,, no "bare" spots, just a scraggly, unkept look to her, especially around her neck, and that's where I saw the pin feathers coming in. So, is it safe to assume this is a molt? Her eyes are bright and her appetite is good. None of the other hens are molting, though and they are all about the same age (within a 4 month range, anyway).

Back
Top Bottom