How clean do you clean your coop?

Rhaena

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 11, 2007
I have posted several times about my RIR hens picking the feathers off of their necks. I haven't had any luck stopping the behavior. I have cleaned their coop but was wondering how good I should clean it. What do you do? Do I need to take the roosts out and scrub them with bleach - or is simply dusting out the cobwebs good enough and scooping poo out of their nesting boxes good enough? What do you do when cleaning out your coop?
Thanks.

we have a dirt floor layered with hay...we've just been raking the hay around and adding new straw once a month. we are getting ready to pull it all out and start new...but we've never scrubbed the roosts, etc... our experience has been that unless it's smelly, then it should be alright. plus we end up with really good compost that way!
lol.png
our coop is open on two sides though with hardware cloth walls and door, so that may be a factor there as it gets alot of ventilation...

i'm sure that didn't help you at all!
lol.png
sorry! i hope you can figure out what's up with your gals....

I have also never bleached or scrubbed my coop/hen house.........I use hay and shavings on my dirt floor run and coop and just rake the whole thing into a wagon and add to compost...... anyone else? do more?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom