HOW CLOSE TO KIDDING?

StephC78

Chirping
May 24, 2019
Ok so I am fairly new to goats and have a very pregnant doe. We started with one doe then got a brother and sister pair so she had friends. Apparently the buck bred our first doe before we got him castrated. So now we are expecting. We got the pair in late November and assume they need not long after that. Mom to be “Chewy” has large belly, recently developed utter, moody, and noticed slight discharge yesterday. I’ve read a lot about signs of labor and think she is getting close. I guess my main questions are how soon after discharge starts does labor usually start? And is it wise to separate her from the wether and other doe now just Incase she has kid when I’m not around or at night? Also, once she has baby how long should they be separated from the other two? We have made a temporary pen for her by sectioning off part of their current pen so they can still see each other but no risk of hurting her or kid. Any info would be appreciated. I’ll try to get pics and post them if upload will work. Thanks in advance!
2200904A-FD57-42F7-A267-FF12B515F0AF.jpeg
C1F18038-AEBE-408C-913F-A9521AE74429.jpeg
7D02D254-44EE-4F5A-95F9-F369FDFC55DA.jpeg

The discharge may or may not mean anything, As the doe gets close to going into labor the tail bone loosens to the point you can sometimes get your fingers clear under it. One thing you might do is start taking the doe's temperature every day at the same time. A sudden drop of a degree or two means she is getting close. When the doe starts to go into labor there is usually a mucus string. The doe will be restless. She may pace and get up and lie down and paw at the bedding. She may also make what I call mama noises.

Yup, what Cassie said.
Also, her girlie bits will get a jello kind of look to them.
If you're not squeamish (farm long enough, you'll get over it) if you press one finger next to the vulva, if it opens right up and is bright red inside, she'll likely go into labor in the next 12 hours. If it's still firm and pinkish, you can probably get a full night's sleep before she gives birth.

Ok thanks for the info! She had been pretty hands off with me over past few weeks. Barely let me touch her but I’ve noticed yesterday and today she’s coming to me and letting me pet and touch for a little bit before walking away again. Gonna try feeling her tendons like everyone says to and maybe try the vulva test too. Her udder has filled more and teets are starting to point to sides more than they were. Her official birthing pen is done and may start putting her in it tonight. She will share a fence with her friends so shouldn't stress anybody too much. May even put up camera for overnights. Don’t wanna miss my first kid!

I had goats for over 40 years but I never did figure out the tendon thing. If you can learn it it will be a great help to you. Goats don't read the books, but most of mine kidded either in the very early morning or late in the afternoon. Bear in mind I said most, not all.

No more discharge today. Her mood has went back to more normal today. Here’s a rear shot.
7C8C08A9-0D7B-46D4-B805-82365DA89A9E.jpeg

She still wouldn’t let me feel along her tail or udder. But they do look to point more out to the side than before. I know she’s gotta be getting close. So hard to have patience and I know I’m gonna just wake up a baby or more one morning and miss it all!

Got home this afternoon to this odd bubble. not sure if it’s discharge or bag of water starting to show.
1E8B7F00-A1BB-440B-919E-B10F92AF16CB.jpeg
3313BE23-1CD9-48D1-B86F-E68D7E4B5CFB.jpeg

Not sure if you can see it very well in pics but not to be gross it looks like a snot bubble.

Back
Top Bottom