How close to the house?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lesliejean, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Lesliejean

Lesliejean Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    We have a new coop and two chickens. The coop is about six feet from our house. Our buffs are now 11 weeks old and we've never had chickens before. I love them. Is the coop too close to our house? Thanks for any advice.

2. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I don't keep any of mine that close. In the summer you can get flies even if it is kept clean. Also if you have a roo he will be kinda close for early morning crowing if you aren't an early morning person. I would put it further back. If it is a secure coop it should be okay. Mine are mostly about a half acre back from the house. Totally up to you though.

3. farmgirlroots

farmgirlroots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X2

4. res

res Chillin' With My Peeps

If you are in the city and your yard space is small, then leave it where it is. What works for those of us on large lots and acreage doesn't always work for those of us that live "in town".

Put it where YOU want it and where it works for YOU. If you are happy with it, don't worry about what others think...

5. rcstanley

rcstanley Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2013
    Utah County, Utah
    You probably already did this, but check your city's rules as well. Mine requires coops to be 30 feet from any human occupied dwelling (including technically my own).

6. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]
    Coop and run right up against garage, easy for electricity and with sand and some common sense cleaning there is no smell, easy for bringing the water out to them in the winter. Like res said do what is the easiest and works the best for YOU.

7. Lesliejean

Lesliejean Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    Thanks everyone! It sure is great to have community support!,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by