How cold before quail stop laying

thebirdfarm

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 27, 2009
I have coturnix quail that are under artificial light and I live in northern utah so its not been too cold yet, just enough to snow but it melted off the next day. Anyway though my hens stopped laying and won't start up again was just wondering if the temps can really affect them that much.

Not An Expert Here---(note Under My Username--- Wesley Chapel Florida!) But I Have Not Heard To Cold Shutting Coturnix Down, Just The Amount Of Daylight Hours...

Mine stopped laying an I moved them and added one light and have eggs again. So....as winter progresses i will know the answer to this...
big_smile.png

Hmmm... mine have light, but we've been dipping below freezing (coop getting to 35°F) and all the bobwhites stopped laying a week ago. They could be molting, though... one cage looks like they had a pillow fight!!

Ironsun told me that cold will definitely affect their laying, not just the light. I don't know how cold it must be for that though, I had a coturnix hen that started laying in November last year, when nighttime temps were getting in the 20s and 30s.

Quote:
YEAH DURING THE WARM SPELLS--- I WAS UP THERE LAST NOVEMBER AND IF IT WAS 30 AT NIGHT WE WOULD BE JUMPING FOR JOY!!! HECK IT SNOWED MORE THERE LAST NOVEMBER THAN I CAN REMEMBER IN QUITE A WHILE--- WE TOTALLY SCREWED UP MY SONS GREY SQUIRRELL(COULDNT FIND A SQUIRRELL SITTER SO HE WENT DEER HUNTING WITH US)--- CRAZY THINGS' STILL HIDING NUTZ!

It was a lot colder last winter than it normally is, and this year doesn't look any better. We got more than average snow fall as well, but it still melted off quickly like it normally does. Good thing when it was really cold that it didn't snow, it's pretty hard to get out of our road if there is snow on it!!

The molt, and shorter daylight will stop them. The cold temp will not you can get over 300 per yr. per hen coturnix.

Seen them lay when its was down to 0 degrees f. Heck the eggs would even freeze and bust before i could gather them.

If their water freeze and they dont get enought water ,that will stop the eggs too.

I have coturnix quail that are under artificial light and I live in northern utah so its not been too cold yet, just enough to snow but it melted off the next day. Anyway though my hens stopped laying and won't start up again was just wondering if the temps can really affect them that much.

Back
Top Bottom