how cold does it get?

You know it's cold outside when you breathe and your nostrils stick together.

lol.png
I hate that feeling!

We normally have lows in the -20F to -30F. The lowest temperature we had was on Jan.19 1994 it was a bone chilling -53F. We have Michigan's record for coldest temperature recorded. Amasa Michigan. I keep 2- 100w bulbs going in coops to keep the coops a little warmer when the temps drop to -20 F I do shut the lights off for 8 hrs. so they can have a normal sleep cycle. I have had a little frostbite on very tips of roosters comb but I try to keep Vaseline on the comb and wattles for protection.

Brrr. I got cold reading this and had to start my space heater.

holy smokes guys ive never had that feeling but hope I never get it. stay warm guys!
smile.png
- Jay in MA

I'm on the east coast of Florida and the minimum temp here is 20-25F degrees altho it very rarely gets that low. The coldest I've ever felt was during Jan 2010 when it got down to the low 20's. Brrr.

I can't even imagine temps of -30 and more! :hmm I guess when it's that cold you try not to go outside, or put on several layers if you do!

The cold has hit here hard. It is now -8f and dropping by the minute. Since we went straight from above average warm to record breaking cold, we are all feeling a bit shocked. Tomorrow's high is supposed to only be 6f.

It is going to be a long winter. :(

hi, from Ohio and getting ready for the storm to hit Thursday night. nostrils freezing yeah makes it difficult to blow it when outside. my coop is ready as can be deep litter method, water heated and feed them twice a day when temps drop, giants can really eat.I have a heat lamp but won't use it unless -20 and we get high winds. coop is pretty solid but our temps keep going up and down, so how acclimated ate they now?? my husband keeps turning it on when it got into the teens at night and I turn it off.

Back
Top Bottom