1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How cold hardy are Guinea Fowl?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by SebrightLuver, Sep 14, 2011.

1. SebrightLuver

SebrightLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Are Guinea Fowl very cold hardy? I have one heated coop but not all of my birds will fit so some will have to stay in the non-heated coop for the winter. Since the Guineas don't enjoy being locked up in a smaller coop I was hoping to leave them in the big, unheated coop with the chickens who don't fit in the heated coop.

Keep in mind that I live in Canada and we can get some very cold temps in the winter.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Mine roost in the trees year round. Last winter it got down in the -20s and they all survived it just fine.

3. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    I think the coldest it got for my guineas last winter was about 10 degrees. (and they roost in a tree) They were fine and walked around in the snow fine.

4. SebrightLuver

Jul 5, 2011
    -30 F without the windchill isn't unusual around here, and with the windchill it can get into the -40s. They will have lots of chickens and the other guineas to cuddle with though.

5. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    We're nowhere near Canada but I can tell you that our guineas raced happily out of the coop on many a snow-covered morning last year while the chickens stood in the doorway and whined.

We got down to about -10 for week or so here I think.

6. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    As long as they do not get wet/soaked to the bone Guineas fluff up their feathers to insulate themselves, and they will tuck their heads under a wing and also cover their feet while perching. Just a well sheltered coop should be fine. 2"x4" perches laid flat (like a shelf) help them keep their feet warm when roosting.

7. SebrightLuver

Jul 5, 2011
    Quote:Thats what I have, and unless they jump in the ducks water they shouldn't get wet.

8. the newlyweds

the newlyweds New Egg

Nov 9, 2014
    Boykins va
    Would there be any sights to tell if they were not doing well in the cold

9. HarmonyHen

HarmonyHen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2012
    Here in western PA this past winter it was below 0 for several weeks, with some nights in the -20s. Mine were fine in an unheated 8x10 fully enclosed coop with attached run and the option to free range during the day (coop trained for night). The guineas would often go a couple days without leaving the coop, but that was their choice. The chickens went outside nearly every day, despite the snow and cold. I did, however, have a heated waterer because of the consistently low temps...but no actual heat in the coop and they were fine.

10. Fessenden333

Fessenden333 New Egg

Mar 28, 2016
    Good to know.
    How many birds do you "house" in the 8x10 structure / run/ free range option?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by