How cold is too cold for a short outing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by becklinn77, Sep 14, 2011.

1. becklinn77

becklinn77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2011
    Oologah, OK
    I have 2 wk old Barred Rock chicks. Up until today it has been in the 90's, so every day my son and I have taken them outside for a little fresh air and let them peck around in the grass. Not long - just 20-30 minutes.

Today and for the next few days it will be quite a bit cooler (upper 60's to lower 70's). Should I keep them in when it's this cool, or would our usual short playtime still be ok?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    A short playtime will be fine. I would pick a sunny spot if it's only in the 60s. Anywhere would be fine if it's in the 70s, I think.

3. becklinn77

becklinn77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2011
    Oologah, OK
    Thank you!

4. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

When my broody hens take chicks out for walks at that age, even in January, they are out from under the mama for short periods, like 5 to 15 minutes, so they should be fine for a brief playtime. I would also listen to the chicks. If they start peeping a lot, they are too cold.

5. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

As soon as I come home from work mine go out on the grass in a small pen for a couple of hours...they are 2 weeks old and it is only in the 70-80 range...they will tell you when it gets too cold.

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Shoot, mine are 3 weeks old and are out from under the broody in a 50 °F coop most of the time. They should be fine...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by