How cold is too cold for fertile eggs to remain hatchable

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fresheggs4u, Jan 29, 2009.

1. fresheggs4u

fresheggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    I have some teachers that want to hatch eggs in their classrooms. Currently, our temperatures are averaging 30-40 sometime 50's during the day time. My coop is not heated. It that too cold for the eggs to incubate? Any suggesttion on how to get hatchable eggs in the cooler months without standing and waiting for my hens to lay.

Thanks!

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

As long as they dont freeze there fine. Collect 3 times a day if timps are under 32 degrees.

3. Hi!
    Those temps should be fine for collecting eggs for hatching. It would be iffy if your temps were closer toward freezing and were left out all day without collecting through the day.
    [​IMG]
    Good luck!
    Lisa

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    We are not getting above freezing at all and all of my eggs are hatching. I have yet to see an impact due to temps, especially if you collect them timely throughout the day. Have fun hatching!

5. ejones1961

ejones1961 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2008
    West TN
    I had some silkie eggs in the fridge for 2 days and pulled them out and all formed in the eggs and had some hatched.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by