How cold is too cold for young ducks?

TippyCheeseandJet

In the Brooder
May 4, 2021
Hi guys! I have 3 two and a half month old ducks that we just built an amazing pen for in our backyard- it has been unseasonably cold here in NY, dropping into the low 40s at night. These babies have lived in our house for the past 2 months where it is a comfortable 68 degrees. Any day where it has been over 50 we have brought them out to the pen to swim and do duck stuff 🙂. They spent 1 night out there when it was in the 60s. Inside their pen there is an old plastic playhouse that I round them up into at night- it’s filled with straw. I brought them in again last night because it was pouring rain nonstop and the temp was in the low 40s. For the most part they are fully feathered- still some down of their back ends. Will they be okay outside in this cold after being used to being in the house. Some days it is in the 60s and then drops down to 40 at night. They do have a roof for the rain in the playhouse but it has open plastic windows so I don’t think it does much warmth-wise. They are very loved little guys and I just don’t want them to be cold and shivering or get sick. But I’d also love them to be out of my bathtub (which is where they sleep on cold nights!) Any advice about acclimating them to the cold? This weather just stinks!

Take swimming water away in the afternoon so that they remain dry, and they should overnight in those temperatures with no problem.

Back
Top Bottom