How Cold is Too Cold? Force Cooping Hens?

Thanks a bunch for all the replies and experiences. Nite time temps here rarely drop into the single digits so I'll stop worrying and relax. Just wanted to be sure. Perhaps I'll disconnect the heat lamp unless it really freezes up here.
Don't think this got mentioned, I apologize if I missed it.....hopefully the run is predator proof, that would be my concern.

Quote:
Yes, the run area is 8'x12' (6.5' high) and is fenced in 100% with 1/2" mesh hardware cloth. The hardware cloth (stiff wire) is buried under ground below pressure treated 2"x10"s and extends away from the run on all sides by 15" so digging underneath it is prevented. The roof is composed of clear plexiglass over 1" chicken wire for extra support. The whole structure is framed with 4"x4" posts. Anything short of a bear should not be able to get inside and it's been safe since building it last April. Thankfully there are no bears around here!

I had a RIR sleep in a tall pine tree and I figured she would know when to sleep indoors in which the temperature got cold enough that she finally decided to sleep inside. So I would say leave it and it will know when to come in out of the cold.

Back
Top Bottom