How cold is too cold?

Dmontgomery

Songster
Apr 1, 2014
Longville, La
We live in the deep south where winter basically consists of 40 degree weather in January and February. We might get 2-3 days a year when overnight temps get below 32. My coop is 16'x16' with the east wall completely open. The roosts, pictured below, are at window level for maximum cooling in the summer. There is one on the north side and one on the south side of the coop. Should I block off the roost level windows for the winter? I don't think this would have much effect on ventilation.

40 or -40 degrees? I was wearing shorts and tshirt yesterday morning while is was exactly 40 °F, I doubt it would bother an insulated chicken.
Block off the the roost lever vent just incase it does get cold and windy.
I heard this winter will be colder then last so it's better to be safe than sorry.

I bet you're fine. Good ventilation. If it's a particularly cold and windy maybe block to prevent direct draft, but 40 isn't cold for a bird with fresh air.

If your prevailing winds coming thru the window next to the roosts, it might be a good idea to block it off....
....or just have something handy to block it during storms.

We got most of our birds this spring so none of them have ever experienced a day in the coop under 80 degrees. I'll put some plywood on hinges and just raise or lower it on particularly harsh nights.

I think you'll be fine then! My friends and I have all those breeds here in Montana and they are fine in weather much colder than you get!

So it's 2 months later and I finally got around to doing something. I thought about blocking off the north window so the cold air wouldn't be blowing directly on the roost. Then I decided to just lower all the roosts so any cold wind would just pass over the tops of their heads. The roosts were at around 5 1/2' off the coop floor and I've started thinking that was too high for some of them to get down easily in the mornings.

I took down all the roosts and pressured washed them as much as I could, then put them back up at just over 3 1/2'.

I kinda expected a rebellion since they wouldn't be able to look out the windows any more, but it wasn't too bad. They all started roosting up, then got up on their toes, stretching to see out. After a few minutes they all settled down and spread out. It won't be as easy to clean underneath as it was, but it won't be too bad. It's easier for most of them to get up now too. Many won't even need the ladders any more. They can hop/fly high enough to get up.
I've already got some plywood cut to cover the windows if this doesn't work out and next spring I'll just move the roosts back higher so they can get more breeze in the warmer weather. It will be time to pressure wash again anyway.

Back
Top Bottom