How Cold of Weather Can Chickens Stand Outside of Coop?

So I heard some people feed their chickens extra corn in the winter. Do any of you do that?
I read about that too in numerous threads, so yes I do give xtra corn for cold weather, but only after they have eaten a good amount of their regular feed. Usually around 3 pm, I go out with scratch feed to which I have added extra cracked corn.

I'm wondering this myself- I have a flo k of just two birds, a Wyandotte and an orpington. Temperatures outside have been sustained well below zero for the last week, up to -25. In preparation for this, I set up a wireless temp guage inside the coop so I can see the differential between inside and outside, and installed a wall mounted radiant heat panel set to low. Inside the coop it seems to stay about 6 to 7 degrees warmer than the outside temperature. They can cuddle the panel if they want to. A lot of information says to not provide heat, but I don't think that information applies to a flock of only two birds. Am I wrong to do this?

Negative 25 is pretty dang cold.
I don't think flock size matters as birds don't share body heat like mammals do.

No you are not wrong in using a panel heater in those temps.
I do question its effectiveness. My large coop is generally 10 degrees warmer then outside with no added heat source.
It is an 8x14 walk in coop with an 8' tall peak with no insulation.

I do not up the corn intake in winter. I have read often that it helps. Personally I need proof.

I am one that ups the corn as shelled corn along with more BOSS, millet and oats. Last often soaked. Like mentioned above, they must eat the balanced part of diet first.

During the first part of a cold snap the birds will stay in cover but will go out after food later. Mobility is pretty when snow cover is minimal although heavy snow can greatly limit walking and and access to forage.

What I do when it gets blizzardy is straw bales are put out to form a wind break. Grain is then placed on sunny / leeward side with a little hay cover. My games will fly over a hundred yards to get to such locations. Back in the barn is where the complete ration (flock raiser type formulation) is kept for free-choice access. The birds are then able to excersize choice and much invest effort int getting the tastier whole grains. It is fun to split up the grain types to see how they further make choices.

We had -7 this morning and my chickens all went outside and happily scratched around most of the day in the cold wind. It got up to a balmy 10º . I did bring them warmed up feed a few times. I have 4 br. leghorns, a couple other standard hens, and 3 bantams: a Sebright, a D'Uccle, and a Cochin. Of course the Cochin is wearing a snowsuit....lol.
View attachment 1223943
That is a pretty chicken! I want some now...

Hi All!

So glad I saw this. I am a first timer and am worried about my "ladies" as well. I have wrapped the run with house wrap on the bottom (black to trap heat and keep out wind) and greenhouse plastic on the top (to let in UV rays and sunshine, while keeping out wind). I have a few inches uncovered at the top for ventilation. I'm doing the deep litter method, have a heated waterer and provide more snacks to keep them warm. I also have a digital thermometer/humidity gauge in the coop. They don't seem to mind the temps and keep warm by snuggling but don't like the snow and don't come out much. I shovel for them sometimes but the snow is too deep right now. I throw scratch for them to dig for, hang swinging treats from time to time and they have enough room do do their thing. I'm just worried because it's been hovering around zero the last week or two and on Thursday and Friday here highs are in single digits and lows are down to -10.

Can any of you more experienced chicken keeps recommend anything else? Or do you see anything else I'm missing?

They don't seem too bored/irritated yet... Just want to keep them happy - poor things, they've got to be bored. If it helps, I'm in SE Michigan.

Thank you all in advance for your expertise and help!
Jennifer

Hi All!

So glad I saw this. I am a first timer and am worried about my "ladies" as well. I have wrapped the run with house wrap on the bottom (black to trap heat and keep out wind) and greenhouse plastic on the top (to let in UV rays and sunshine, while keeping out wind). I have a few inches uncovered at the top for ventilation. I'm doing the deep litter method, have a heated waterer and provide more snacks to keep them warm. I also have a digital thermometer/humidity gauge in the coop. They don't seem to mind the temps and keep warm by snuggling but don't like the snow and don't come out much. I shovel for them sometimes but the snow is too deep right now. I throw scratch for them to dig for, hang swinging treats from time to time and they have enough room do do their thing. I'm just worried because it's been hovering around zero the last week or two and on Thursday and Friday here highs are in single digits and lows are down to -10.

Can any of you more experienced chicken keeps recommend anything else? Or do you see anything else I'm missing?

They don't seem too bored/irritated yet... Just want to keep them happy - poor things, they've got to be bored. If it helps, I'm in SE Michigan.

Thank you all in advance for your expertise and help!
Jennifer[/QUOTE
This is my first 'chicken winter' and mine are not in a heated coop. They are fine. Minor frostbite on two hens. They come out of the coop when they here my tires on the gravel...

@Faraday40 makes a good point about drastic temp change.
As long as the birds are exposed to tge cold as the temp drops, they should be fine.
I think another concern with heated coops is if you suddenly lose power. Then the flock goes from toasty to freezing & are unprepared.
FYI I have one Barred Rock who is whiny when it's cold out. But then she's whiny about everything. Squawks when she has to lay. Squawks when someone's in her box. Squawks when a squirrel runs by.
All day it's squawk squawk squawk :th:duc

WOW! I never considered they could get frostbite!!! My poor babies. I need to make everyone a hat and scarf!

Ah sounds like one of ours - DumbDaphneTheFlockComplainer...all said as one word! Griped about everything from the trash man coming to there being 4 gallons of water left in a 5 gallon bucket. Laid well until she was about 9 months old, molted, and never laid another egg. We only kept her because she was such a good rooster.

Back
Top Bottom