how come my chickens beaks are open sometimes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cbriggscc, Aug 5, 2008.

1. cbriggscc

cbriggscc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2008
    North Collins, NY
    I'm new to chickens and sooo excited I have 3 RI reds, and 2 buff orp's
    I just got the 2 orps from my sister cause they are a year old and lay eggs, my reds still are a little young.
    Was wondering why the orp's have there beaks open...do they do that sometimes when it's hot out? I don't think its a cold, as eyes, nasals are clear...just didn't know if they do that when it's hot out sometimes?
    thanks,
    Charlene

2. pixiechic

pixiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    North GA
    Yes, they pant sometimes when it's hot.

3. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Pixiechic is right, they're panting. Just make sure they have shade and lots of water and they'll be just fine.

4. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Don't worry too much my EE's who mind you are much heavier than the rest all walk around with their beaks open and their wings spread away from there bodies when it gets hot. Just make sure they have shade and water

5. krjwaj

krjwaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Apex, NC
    I had the same ? when we first put the girls outside. They are panting. Its how they cool off.

6. cbriggscc

cbriggscc Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2008
    North Collins, NY
    Thank you so kindly everyone! I'll have to get some photo's of the girls [​IMG]
    We moved to the country 2 years ago...and while I've been a long time dog person, chickens are new to me. I know I'm going to love this board.
    We are outside Buffalo NY.
    we have 5 dogs, 6 chickens, a parrot and a cat.
    4 grown kids and my oldest daughter is growing me a grandbaby, 1st one

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by