How common is heavy color Dilution in buff Orpingtons?

MysteryChicken

Preserving Gamefowl, 1 Variety At a Time🇮🇳🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
May 31, 2018
Tawas City, Michigan
I have a buff orpington chick who has some really heavy color dilution on the top, & secondaries of her wings, & it's almost white. How common is this type of thing, & will it go away as she matures?

Better Pictures coming tomorrow.

Here's a couple I took today.
0309201213.jpg
0309201216.jpg
0309201216a.jpg

Last edited:
I think it is common in all breeds and varieties.
As Greenfire Farms states in their terms. "Just as every child is not destined to become a supermodel, every bird is not destined to win ribbons at shows."
Okay, I never seen this before, so I had to ask too be sure.
I don't show my birds yet, but was curious about the heavy dilution.

Okay, I never seen this before, so I had to ask too be sure.
I've had orpingtons many years ago. (along with about 30 other breeds) But the breed I now raise are supposed to be all black and chicks are supposed to be black with white/yellow down under the neck and belly, slate legs, horn of ox beaks, etc. I hatch hundreds of chicks each year and I sometimes get chicks that are nearly all white, very white legs, white beaks, sometimes I even get a brown chick. Usually a brown one comes every hatch even though I've only had all black birds for many years. That may be due to the fact that this breed wasn't organized into varieties till 1980. Orps have come in the buff variety since the 1800s.
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Orps/BRKOrps.htmlI even got a chick with 3 legs once.

Last edited:
I've had orpingtons many years ago. (along with about 30 other breeds) But the breed I now raise are supposed to be all black and chicks are supposed to be black with white/yellow down under the neck and belly, slate legs, horn of ox beaks, etc. I hatch hundreds of chicks and I sometimes get chicks that are nearly all white, very white legs, white beaks, sometimes I even get a brown chick. That may be due that this breed wasn't developed into varieties till 1980. Orps have come in the buff variety a lot longer.
Okay, that makes sense.
Genetics are very fascinating.

I've had orpingtons many years ago. (along with about 30 other breeds) But the breed I now raise are supposed to be all black and chicks are supposed to be black with white/yellow down under the neck and belly, slate legs, horn of ox beaks, etc. I hatch hundreds of chicks each year and I sometimes get chicks that are nearly all white, very white legs, white beaks, sometimes I even get a brown chick. Usually a brown one comes every hatch even though I've only had all black birds for many years. That may be due to the fact that this breed wasn't organized into varieties till 1980. Orps have come in the buff variety since the 1800s.
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Orps/BRKOrps.htmlI even got a chick with 3 legs once.
I see a couple Buff Orpington chicks on there that have white on their wings.

Update, Buff Orpington pullet's buff genetics showing primarily Wheaten. Guessing something went hay wire?
0314201455.jpg
0314201455b.jpg
0314201456.jpg
Pullet on left, cockerel on the right.

Back
Top Bottom