How crazy is this?!?! And it was hubby's idea!!

tntstanifer

Songster
12 Years
Nov 1, 2007
Tennessee
Ok, so I have (had) a buff Brahma go broody, and she started out with 4 eggs. Well, by the middle of it, she had 17 eggs! I knew I should have marked those first four, but I just never got around to it.
smack.gif
So, she gets off the nest around Day 18 and I candle all the eggs. All are good except 5 of them, but they seem to be in 4 different stages. Three had actually pipped internally, and three were within days of pipping. then the others were probably from day 8-10. Anyway, she hatches the first 3 and stays on the nest. A couple days later, 3 more hatch. She got off the nest and I figured she was finished and 6 babies were more than enough for her to handle.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
I grabbed the remaining 6 eggs and put them in the bator. Now we have one egg that has internally pipped, 3 more that look ready to go..........which would be fine. It's the last 2 that are maybe Day 12 that will be hatching while we're in the middle of vacation. So, I'm thinking, gosh I wonder if our neice (who will be house/chicken/dog/kitten/horse sitting) can handle the whole bator to hatcher process and take care of the new babies. I'm having serious doubts, but there's no helping it. Then, my amazingly understanding
love.gif
hubby
love.gif
says "Why don't we just take them with us?" He explains that he has this inverter and he can fix it up so we can plug in the bator. Can you even imagine?!
lau.gif
Going down the road on an 8 hour drive to the beach and then hatching chicks while there???
barnie.gif
I still have no idea what I'm going to do!!!!!!!!!!!!
roll.png

Sounds logical enough! I once took a day old chick camping, cuz it's momma decided she wasn't broody anymore!
We had lots of visitors to out campsite!Everyone got a kick out of that!
Brenda

We were JUST discussing this! We only have the poor lonely roo left and I am considering taking him with - we have a cage that can go, but dh wants to hire a sitter...

How did the campgrounds react to your chickens if you did this??

What did you do for a run, or did you do one?

lol.png
Wouldn't it be cool to take a couple of photos of them at the beach once they were fluffy without letting them get too cold.
big_smile.png
Hope it works for ya.

Quote:
No, no no...don't tell them!
duc.gif

They like to act like they don't care, but I catch hubby "caring" all the time.
wink.png
And he'd never admit it, but yes, he's addicted!
lau.gif

We took our 17 chicks up north with us last weekend and I thought Hubby was going to pitch a fit when I told him we weren't taking the bator on a 6+ hour drive with no way to heat it LOL Yup it is contagious and NO DON"T Tell them LOL

oh I can't wait to here how this story ends, hatching on the beach, I can't think of a better way. My fiance is obsessed now to, its a race every day to who finds the first egg.

Back
Top Bottom