How deep for PDZ on coop floor?

SkyT

Chirping
Apr 23, 2020
Seattle, WA
My husband is putting the finishing touches on our girls coop and it will be ready for them to move in tomorrow. I’m wanting to try PDZ and some DE on the coop floor as well as the poop board. How deep should each of these areas be roughly?
still a lot of work to do yet on the coop, but once he gets the doors made the inside is pretty much done. He plans to put siding on and eventually there will be a new tool shed near the coops human door. As well as a run along the back of the garage.
here’s some pics just bc I’m so happy w hubby’s hard work. Also my kids a goofball and photobombed it lmao. Hubby is an architect and has admitted he went wayyyyyy overboard on designing it. The only thing we are possibly thinking we chose wrong was a clear roof. We figured we live in the pacific NW were it’s so dark for so long that they’d enjoy as much light as possible. So we might be needing to curtain the nest boxes now oops.

Attachments

• E12FA5C0-EE02-4269-B313-6B93D7F787F2.jpeg
    E12FA5C0-EE02-4269-B313-6B93D7F787F2.jpeg
    675.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 775D6092-F479-4A91-9EAA-F29D9AF67D23.jpeg
    775D6092-F479-4A91-9EAA-F29D9AF67D23.jpeg
    751.4 KB · Views: 13
  • F1DF5DDE-96F3-413D-BA5F-EBA9BF3B0AE1.jpeg
    F1DF5DDE-96F3-413D-BA5F-EBA9BF3B0AE1.jpeg
    915.7 KB · Views: 12
I doubt you'll need curtains on nests, they need what feels safe, not dark.

If you're using PDZ on poop boards, you could just use shavings on the floor.
Will there be a run too?
They'll spend most the day out there.

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture
-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).
There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.
That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 5 years.

I doubt you'll need curtains on nests, they need what feels safe, not dark.

If you're using PDZ on poop boards, you could just use shavings on the floor.
Will there be a run too?
They'll spend most the day out there.

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture
-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).
There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.
That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 5 years.

yes as stated in the OP the run is going to be built soon we are just working on finishing the coop first.

Both hubby and myself don’t want to do pine shavings for the floor. We will either use a coarse sand (not play sand) hubby researched for coops or PDZ.

Back
Top Bottom