HOW DID GINGER DIE?!?!

blondiebee181

Songster
7 Years
Mar 21, 2012
Boise, ID
Please help me. I went out this morning (3/23) to let my hens out and feed and water them and found my RIR hen, Ginger, behind our shed flopped over dead. She hasn't shown any signs of illness, she didn't have any open wounds. The only thing I can think is A. They weren't out at all yesterday, the last they were out was Thursday (3/21) Maybe she got locked out when I put them away for the night on Thursday. But she ALWAYS goes in with the others before I even come out to lock them away, and even if she missed being put up, I feel like she would have run up to the pen and started pacing. But I can't help thinking "What if I missed her?" What if she got stuck in the yard with little food and starved? I have NO idea how long it takes for a chicken to starve. The only other explanation is that she has some hidden disease that took her while she was out and she was unable to get back in. When I found her, she looked as though she had fallen to sleep, like she had been in a sitting position but when death took her it caused her to fall over to the left. Her eyes were closed though, not open. I wondered briefly if she could have frozen, but it was only in the twenties the last couple nights, which is cold for this time of year but we are going through this last cold snap before Spring really sets on, it was MUCH colder this winter and she was fine. Though she did have the other hens around her...can a chicken freeze if it is out by itself in the twenties? I am SO upset. I love my chickens like part of the family and never thought I would lose one so soon. She was only a year old and laying fine, like I said in great health. Can someone please let me know what could have killed her? Should I send her away for a necropsy?
hit.gif
I'm so upset....I can't help thinking it was my fault...

It's definitely not your fault. It sounds like they have a very good home and you are taking very good care of them
smile.png
. We had a Australorp hen that was a year old and had close to the same death. She has happy and healthy peaking around then all of the sudden she was dead. What we think happened is she had a hidden diseases or cancer from when she was younger that grew over time
hit.gif
. I'm pretty sure your chicken had the same fate.

Thanks for your sympathies... It was just so sudden...we also just tilled our yard and I also got to thinking if she ingested something she shouldn't have...we've been uncovering a lot of trash...glass pieces plastic and a few nails. I try to pick up everything I see but if she ingested a piece of something...I know that can do digestive damage....needless to say I will be watching the others extrA closely for a while. If anyone else has an idea please share. Mostly I'm wondering whether I should be considering a necropsy or if she probably didn't have anything communicable and I should just have a funeral.

She could not have starved that quickly. Think of a setting hen that only leaves the nest once or twice a day and eats just a dab of food.
And the temp. does not seem cold enough for her to freeze to death.
My guess is she had something internal going on so you could not have known if she was ill.
Also the possibility that she had heart failure.
I have been raising chickens for several years and when a death occurs I still fret and worry that I should have saved it. I would try to change my mindset to think that I gave it a good life and that nature took it's course.

She could not have starved that quickly. Think of a setting hen that only leaves the nest once or twice a day and eats just a dab of food.
And the temp. does not seem cold enough for her to freeze to death.
My guess is she had something internal going on so you could not have known if she was ill.
Also the possibility that she had heart failure.
I have been raising chickens for several years and when a death occurs I still fret and worry that I should have saved it. I would try to change my mindset to think that I gave it a good life and that nature took it's course.
Thank you, I know it's hard not to blame ourselves, but I am trying to stay positive. After talking to several other chicken owners, I don't think I will send her away I will just bury her under where I plan to put my garden. After thinking about it, I think she either ingested something from our freshly tilled yard (that incidentally turned up a lot of bits of trash from past tennants) or had an underlying heart problem or tumors that manifested themselves suddenly....Thanks all for your support, it's always hard to lose a pet.

Back
Top Bottom