how did i get white chicks out of this

johndeeregreen

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 9, 2011
i have barred rock and rhode island reds only, hatched some eggs and half of the chicks where white/yellow??? how is that possible? the other half were black as expected.

Is the BR the roo or the hen? BR roo x RIR hen makes all barred babies from what I've read, but a RIR roo x BR hen = sexlinks and you can tell the males from the females at hatch. (someone please correct me if I am mistaken
hide.gif
)

Quote:
There is a difference Red's and Production Red.
Red's are a Rhode Island Red.
wink.png
and they are Red at hatch.

Chris

Quote:
Do you have pictures or the parents?

Sounds like to me that your "Barred Rock" is a Black Sex-Link and your "Rhode Island Red" is a Red Sex-Link or a Production Red.

Chris

Last edited:
Quote:
If your rooster is a Black sex-link and the the hen is a Red sex-link and you cross them you will get a vast amount of colors and patterns in the off spring because neither of the parents are pure.

Lets say that you rooster was a Black sex-link out of a Columbian Rock and a Barred Rock cross and you hen was a Red sex-link out of a "Rhode Island White" and a Rhode Island Red there chicks would carry the genetic makeup of all 4 breeds and you could get Black, White, Barred, Barred tailed Whites, Barred tailed Yellows/Gold, Columbian, Black Tailed Yellow/ Golds.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom