How did they know there was straw in the truck?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by New adventure, Dec 2, 2009.

1. New adventure

New adventure Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Pueblo, Colorado
    A few days ago, we brought home 6 bales of straw in our small pickup just after dark when the chickens were already in their coop. We parked in the back yard, near where the chickens play, tarped the straw, and went in the house.

The next morning I let the flock out, and returned to the house. The next time I was outside, there were 2 green eggs in a sweet little nest, in the truck bed; under the tarp.

So, my question is - how did they know the straw was there? [​IMG] Can chickens smell that well? Or what?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They are curious.

They'll find a great place to lay in a pinch.

3. Cockadoodledon't

Cockadoodledon't Chillin' With My Peeps

SMART!!!!!![​IMG]

4. New adventure

New adventure Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Pueblo, Colorado
    What gets me is that they have never paid any attention to the truck before and it was parked in the same spot as always. So they had to figure out the hay was there, jump into the truck, and wiggle under the tarp.

They have 1/4 acre to roam in and I haven't found eggs anywhere but the nest boxes for months.

I guess that's why I love them - it's never boring!!

Thanks for the answers, but I guess I'm still wondering how well chickens can smell. Anyone know?

5. hrdwrkgrl

hrdwrkgrl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2008
    (giggling) Silly rabbit.. trix are for chicks. No idea how well they can smell..... (big smile). Tricky chicks.

6. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Mine got into the barn and shredded a half bale I was saving for later [​IMG] They're like kids, they just know when there's something new they need to check out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by