How did they know there was straw in the truck?

New adventure

Songster
10 Years
Feb 27, 2009
Pueblo, Colorado
A few days ago, we brought home 6 bales of straw in our small pickup just after dark when the chickens were already in their coop. We parked in the back yard, near where the chickens play, tarped the straw, and went in the house.

The next morning I let the flock out, and returned to the house. The next time I was outside, there were 2 green eggs in a sweet little nest, in the truck bed; under the tarp.

So, my question is - how did they know the straw was there?
hu.gif
Can chickens smell that well? Or what?

What gets me is that they have never paid any attention to the truck before and it was parked in the same spot as always. So they had to figure out the hay was there, jump into the truck, and wiggle under the tarp.

They have 1/4 acre to roam in and I haven't found eggs anywhere but the nest boxes for months.

I guess that's why I love them - it's never boring!!

Thanks for the answers, but I guess I'm still wondering how well chickens can smell. Anyone know?

(giggling) Silly rabbit.. trix are for chicks. No idea how well they can smell..... (big smile). Tricky chicks.

Mine got into the barn and shredded a half bale I was saving for later
barnie.gif
They're like kids, they just know when there's something new they need to check out!

Back
Top Bottom