How did this happen??

ameraucanacrazy

Songster
10 Years
Feb 11, 2009
macon,ga
Hey,

Just this past week I had my first babies of the year hatch and the only eggs I had in the incubator was my marans eggs and some of my blue wheaton turken eggs. But when the babies hatched out I had the little yellow turkens and then I had some little black maran x chicks but then I had a bunch of little odd ball colored babies most of them were white and yellow with chipmunk strips.

My question is how did I end up with yellow babies from my black copper maran when I had her in with a pure black wyandotte rooster?

Thanks,

Hey,
Just this past week I had my first babies of the year hatch and the only eggs I had in the incubator was my marans eggs and some of my blue wheaton turken eggs. But when the babies hatched out I had the little yellow turkens and then I had some little black maran x chicks but then I had a bunch of little odd ball colored babies most of them were white and yellow with chipmunk strips.
My question is how did I end up with yellow babies from my black copper maran when I had her in with a pure black wyandotte rooster?
Thanks,

Was your Black Wyandotte hiding white in its background?
Just a thought.
Turken? How'd that happen? You have or had any Turken's?

No the Wyandotte is pure bc I have kept track of my breeding of my blue splash and black wyandottes. And yh I had some baby turkens that hatched out as well. I was just wondering how the little white babies came out of two black chickens?

Recessive white can hide for many generations if not paired up with another bird carrying recessive white. Black can also mask some pattern genes; if his base is heterozygous, the black would override the less dominant variation, but the offspring may inherit the less dominant variation, allowing pattern genes to show.

Back
Top Bottom