How did you fasten down the vinyl flooring in your coop?

featherfooted

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Georgia
I'm building a new coop since we moved and I had to leave the coop I had behind. In this one I plan to put vinyl flooring in and I need to know the best way to fasten it down, nails or glue. How did you fasten yours down?

We used glue and then stapled the sides really well so that they wouldn't pull away. Some people build the walls on top of the linoleum but, if you ever need to replace it, that makes it extremely hard to replace. I used to live in a mobile home and when we went to change out the flooring, it was a disaster..they also built the walls on top of the linoleum and carpet...it was a nightmare.

Yes, I want to know the answer to this question, too!
big_smile.png

I would just do the edges. The stuff will lay flat on its own. Unless it has a buckle in it. You can use staples or even caulk. It doesn't take much to hold it.

Saw a post in the past where they used trim boards against the vinyl flooring like a frame and screwed it into the walls of the coop. Held it tight and allowed for easy replacement down the road.

I layed mine out in the sun so it would flatten out some, good side up so the backside didn't collect any condensation.

When I installed it, I only put a few splashes of seam sealer in the center area, just to hold down, then ran it up the walls cutting out around the studs and stapled it.
I didn't shape it around the sill , I made gradual curves if you know what I mean.
I wasn't going to be walking around in there, I did it that way so it was easy to clean...no sharp corners or edges for poop to collect.

If I had sheet rocked or covered walls, I would have done the same thing,
No corners for poop to collect and build up.

Twice a year I do a complete clean up, just sweep everything out....very little scraping with the broom.

If I ever want to replace it, just pull the few staples out and pull the hole flooring out in one piece or two pieces!

If you glue, nail or staple the heck out of it it will be a real chore to remove it!

I do the same in the laundry rooms of my rental units, which gets replaced about every three years, (remove the old flooring of course) ruff cut to size the vynil, remove the half round molding, put thin beads of sealer down, (not flooring adhesize) lay the flooring down, use a flooring roller to squeze the sealer down and make it flat as possible, trim to size using the wall as an edge, then re-instal the trim.
From start to finish I can do a 10x12 laundry room in less than hour.
Minimal scraping, the hardest part is not breaking the trim.

I scored some vinyl from dumpster diving, and plan to cover the entire bottom which I'm making from pallets,also from the dumpster, then put the walls on top of the vinyl. If it has to be changed I will just cut it with a razor knife.

I used glue to apply the lineolum. After about a year the edges started to come up then I used 1/4"by 1 1/2" furring strips and attached them around the perimeter and it seems to be doing very well.

Back
Top Bottom