How did you lose your pets?

broomgal

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
Sand Springs, Oklahoma
I am still working on my coop and run and would like to know if you have lost any animals what your setup was and how the predator got through.

I am thinking of locking them in at night in the coop but would be interested to know what types of wire or locks raccoons seems to get through.

You need to use a welded wire with a fine mesh like hardware cloth.

Racoons, weasels, possums, rates, skunks, dogs, wolves, coyotes and most other predators make short work of chicken wire and other type wires. Given enough time they gnaw right through or reach through and take what they want.

You need to burry your perimeter wires at least 6 inches or more deep and lay out a foot our two of wire in an L shape from the run sides to help deter digging that some of these animals do to get in.

If you want them safe at all times make sure you put on a secure top.

Also - lock them up at night in a tight hen house.

Most any of these animal if determined enough will get in sooner or later. They may come every night for weeks until they have found the weakest link and get into your house and run.

Coop = house + run.

I've never lost any to predators, and I'm going on 4 years owning chickens. You must lock them in at night, no question, and have hardware cloth screening over any open window.Predators are all over the U.S. even though you may not see them since most are nocturnal hunters.

Well 8 years ago when i started i didn't know to cover my coop area.
Lost several nice bantams to coopers hawk and couple to a red tail hawk.

Had a hawk dive bomb my laying hens who were free range.

Weasels are in my area lost 10 Doves to a weasel
He went right through the chicken wire on my large dove pen.

Lost 5 Doves last spring to a Black Snake he climbed a tree close to my cages.
Slipped right through the wire and ate 4 baby's and killed 2 adults.
I covered that side of the pen with shade cloth.

Had a hawk hang on the side of my cage's and caused 3 of my pigeons to break their necks hitting the wire.

Yes i would lock them up at night to keep them safe

Thanks for all the replies!!

Still learning here so sorry for wrong words
smile.png

Everything is covered with welded wire so I think I am ok there.

I am planning on locking in at night- all windows have hardware cloth on them. My concern is the door and the latch. Great advice about a pre-schooler. That helps immensely!

Back
Top Bottom