How did you waterproof your nest boxes?

skylavaulter

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 8, 2014
We are having trouble figuring out how to waterproof the nest boxes where the lid gets hinged to the coop (our lid opens upward). There is a gap there even with the shingles. We constructed it by making the nest box frame, covering with plywood at an angle on the sides, and placing a plywood lid on top with hinges. Covered it with shingles but there is still a gap when you open and close the lid. Our coop roof does overhang about a foot over the nest box, but I'm not convinced that this will be enough to keep water out if the rain decides to blow sideways. Can you show me how you did yours?

buy some of the stick on weather proofing you put around a door to seal air leaks. get the foam rubber kind, line the edge of the wall where the lid connects with it. it will be spongy enough to close tight and should be sufficient to keep water from going in.

OR, you could buy a tire inner tube and cut a piece of rubber to attach to the top of the lid and the wall. It will be flexible enough to open, but will keep any water out

We are having trouble figuring out how to waterproof the nest boxes where the lid gets hinged to the coop (our lid opens upward). There is a gap there even with the shingles. We constructed it by making the nest box frame, covering with plywood at an angle on the sides, and placing a plywood lid on top with hinges. Covered it with shingles but there is still a gap when you open and close the lid. Our coop roof does overhang about a foot over the nest box, but I'm not convinced that this will be enough to keep water out if the rain decides to blow sideways. Can you show me how you did yours? 
Buy a small piece of rubber roofing, screw it to the coop with it extending over the gap,a little caulking over the screws and the top edge will keep the water out.

Thank you! Back to Home Depot I go
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom