how dirty are chickens really?

Chickens are pooping machines. But in my opinion as some others have stated, if you use the deep litter method, it is very manageable. I use a putty knife ever morning on the roosts and I use a pitch fork to stir the litter up.

I can go weeks before I have to clean the pen out.
My coop doesn't stink anymore either. Before I used the deep litter, the pen got stinky and no less than once a week cleaning was the only thing that would do.

If you keep after, you shouldn't have a problem. And chickens are so much fun. They are worth it!

Cleaning up chicken poop is not a big deal to a chicken lover, make sure you want the chickens if you have to clean the poo. I would rather clean chicken poo anyday than that of a canine companion.
sickbyc.gif
Just my opinion!
love.gif
I love chickens!

Quote:
You're probably not alone in that line of thought...
smile.png

BTW, I am not sure if I had a chance to welcome you when you first registered, so in case I didn't, WELCOME, LADYHAWKE1 ! I hope you see you around the board, and I love your cute kitty avatar!
love.gif

My parents run a newspaper route , so I have unlimited access to old newspapers . They are wonderous for lining under the roost for the nites they poop and next morning just scoop up the papers line a fresh one and bada bing bada boom you are done . Mine free range all the day so they are very rarely in the coop. I also use pine needles in the floor of the coop mixed with pine shavings .

Crusty poop happens when a coop is over crowded or needs to be maintained. It doesn't need to be that way. Smelly coops happen for the same reasons and are also unnecessary.

Any animal can be kept in a way that's nasty or a way that's pleasant. Dogs can be dirty and live in a poopy mess or they can have clean fur and a clean area to live in. Barns can be nasty or well maintained. Chickens are the same way. Allow enough room for the number of chickens you want, take care of them and they won't be living in a stinky mess.

Putting down sand in a run can keep it from getting muddy. If needed, you can also rake it, to keep it cleaner.

Even in a well maintained coop and run, it's nice to have a pair of coop shoes or boots to slip on before you go out to the coop. It's a nice idea for working in a barn or walking outside when it's muddy or slushy, too. I put a boot scraper/brush/cleaner outside my door, for cleaning footwear. I always have one of those, even during times I didn't have chickens, because it's muddier in the woods than it is on a city sidewalk.

Back
Top Bottom